Jump to content

SnowDrifter

Super Moderator
  • Posts

    14671
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    156

Everything posted by SnowDrifter

  1. Hahaha. Mine was me sitting in anticipation, then a look of utter suprise, then a HUGE smile, then me zoning out in pure bliss
  2. Explorer. Can they hold 3-4 alts? And what years?
  3. Hahaha. One of my friends ended up bailing out. I was giddy with excitement! I ended up sticking my head in the port after a couple songs
  4. The only way I can describe it is a full body experience. I even changed my mind on what car to get because of it. I used to want a small nimble car, now I want an suv with space for alternators and extra batteries and such. I until then, the loudest thing I heard was about 130 db - so it was a HUGE suprise for me! Heck, does anyone know of a good cheap spacy car that has room for 4 15s or so?
  5. Could I get the songs too?
  6. No? I always thought that distortion was just as bad,kuz all you would be doing is making that distortion louder through the amp. Not tryn to say your wrong.I know you know what your talking about.I just want to get my facts straight As I understand it: clipping and the resultant sawing off of the sine wave is what kills the driver. Distortion can be anything that varies from a perfect sine wave. Clipping is always distortion, but distortion is not always clipping. The big thing to look out for is clipping in bass boosted songs. If there is a bit of distortion from a guitar or something - I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure that what you are hearing isn't clipping and you should be fine.
  7. You are not building nothing, you are cutting a plug off a heater and hooking it up to a $4 potentiometer from radio shack and hooking it up to your speaker outputs. And yes, you are achieving nothing but getting test results reputable manufactures already list at multiple voltages and impedance's. However since you dont have the needed tools to test the acutal output of an amplifier all your going to do is make a heater hot, likes intended purpose. facepalm...... You certainly know how to kill a man's spirit don't you...
  8. YES! I like projects, and have time to do one. So why not? Folks: I'm not looking for a crash course about what brands to buy and quality and anything else. I'm just looking to have some fun and learn about this stuff.
  9. Not saying you CANT do it, nor know your background,but its more then just a light that blinks... Most the amplifiers on the market now, dont even have anywhere near and accurate clipping indicator, so if multimillion dollar companies building amplifiers cant figure it out, what makes you think you can? Hell if it was so easy to make a clipping indicator, it wouldnt of took D'amore engineering along with Juan and Steve months and months of time to build the SMD DD-1 clipping and distortion detector beofore going into production, and your gonna built it in 1 day??? and these are head Engineers from Rockford Fosgates in the R&D department for a LONGGGGGGGGG time. I thought I could just go off of the various wiring diagrams on google. I am under the impression that a basic clipping detector would illuminate an led if the signal starts to go from ac to dc because of clipping - which is very different from the DD-1 which as I understand it, detects any level of distorion. Since clipping is a form of distortion, then the DD-1 detects it. Since what I want to to is vastly more simplistic, why is it unreasonable to sit down and put it together in a day. Correct me if I am completely off base since my background is a high school kid who wants to learn about this stuff
  10. Sweet! As for the other questions: yes, its to measure amplifier output. As for the clipping part, I'll probably just build a clipping indicator. I have an extra day to occupy my time... So it's the perfect chance to undergo a project
  11. I have an idea to make an artificial load to an amplifier. I have an old ceramic heater with an infinitely adjustable heat knob. Could I take this apart and take the wires from the heating element, adjust the knob to my desired ohm load, and hook it up to the amp? Or is there some reason why I shouldn't do it? I really need your input on this. I don't want to blow anything up.
  12. Make a removable port like the one steve meade has so you can tweak with the port area / length and secure it with t-nuts Then get some 14 inch MDF circles, and a 12 inch cutout for your box. Cut the MDF circle to the cutout of the sub so you have an MDF ring. Secure the ring to the box using T-nuts then screw the sub into the ring. If you get a 10 inch sub or another 12 with a different cutout, toss the olf mdf ring and make a new one to fit.
  13. I got the idea from seeing somebody put sound deadening on the inside of their port for sound quality. I am trying to do that to my box, but have a bunch of bracing that would make it a PITA to do with sheets.
  14. I'm looking for some good but cheap sound deadener to spray on the inside of my upcoming box build to eliminate any echoes / resonating anything from it. The places I have available to me are Napa, O'Reilly, Home Depot, and Lowes. So if I can get it at one of those places, it would be awesome.
  15. Here is a quick video for those of you who want to see what this song is about and can't be bothered to download it. Its also a great way to break in a new sub =)
  16. I was bored - so I added bass to a song. I will have a better version up tomorrow after I play with it some more. Its tough to get the bass right through cheap earbuds. Anyways: let me know what you think Caution: the song hits low.Link
  17. Effeciency too. A 1000 watt amp at 50% effeciency will draw 2000 watts needing 2000 watts of fuses. A 1000 watt amp at 95% effeciency will draw 1050 watts - needing only 1050 watts of fuses. Or as is popular with cheap amps: the box says 1000 watts, but the amp is really a 300 watt amp needing only 400 watts or so of fuses. =)
  18. Did you measure the voltage at the battery or the amp? If from the battery, measure it from the wires where they go into the amp and post back
  19. Could you be more specefic? I'm assuming you mean setting the gain. Is you EQ a separate unit or is it the one as part of the head unit?
  20. the amp isnt going into protect mode... its more like just the sub bass cutting out on really low bass notes but plays other bass freq? if that makes any sense? My buddy's car did that before he upgraded his wire. Pull out a multi meter and check the voltage at your battery when the amp is bumpin. If that's fine, check the voltage at the amp while it is playing. If it's low, then do the big 3 and use the biggest wire you can. If that is fine, try replacing your fuses - I have heard stories of them getting some sort of memory that makes them act like they are lower amperage then they are rated for. This is all assuming that it isn't clipping and the speakers are wired properly
  21. I have. However, I have just gotten 2 conflicting answers and this being a public forum - I am hoping that others can chime in as well. Don't get me wrong - I am not 'sticking my nose up' at your advice. As someone who knows more than me about this, I appreciate, respect, and desire your input. Just understand where I am coming from when I have 2 people giving me 2 different answers.
  22. The sub weights about 30lbs, but whether its at the top of the box or at the bottom - it's a non issue since the box will be in a corner with a shelf boxing it in so all sides except the baffle will have coverage So the question is top or bottom?
×
×
  • Create New...