Electrical strong enough for .5 ohm?

I just mainly dont want to fuck anything up. I have a question though, now if you run a amp at a low impedance, for instance .5 ohms, does ot matter if you go lower on the gains? Like would it be safer that way or is half ohms, half ohms if you know what im sayin? I know gains are for level matching but wasnt sure how it would effect low impedances. I hope you kinda understand what im saying

-----SELLING EVERYTHING----

2 DC sound labs 3.5k's (still avail)

2 HDC312A D1's (still avail)

5 XS Power Batteries (1 d3400 and 1 d1200 left)

4 runs of knukoncepz 0 gauge (have all the wire still)

DC power 270XP alt (sold)

RF T1 6.5 components (both sold)

Powerbass XAX 4160 (still avail)

Custom built box 4.75^3 tuned 34hz (still avail)

Do you have room for another alternator? I run 2 ddm4s (3500 a piece)but i have 3-220a alts a xs2400,xs3400 up front and 2-d3100s in the back with vcm and 9-runs of 0g and never drop below 12.6 and thats at full tilt burp using just 1 alt for meca. on daily stays at 14+ but will dip into high 13s

Wow thats a serious electrical man! But no i have no room at all. This is mainly a daily driver but i might try some comps at some point

oh and im strapped at .7 so thats .35 daily i say you should be fine if it drops too much wire it up. after box rise you should be ok though

Yeah thats what i was thinking, with box rise and stuff. Thanks for your help man

when you strap a amp theres a master and slave all setings are done on the master. and if you keep the gain down sure it wont draw as much power

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

I am not sure about the warranty issue. I cannot speak for the DC 3.5ks, but I have run 2 Powerbass 3ks at .5ohm each on a stock alternator with 4 XS 3100s with 2 runs of 2/0 welding cable front to back.

Ok yeah so we have about the same electrical then. How long have you been running it like that? What is your voltage drop like on music daily?

when you strap a amp theres a master and slave all setings are done on the master. and if you keep the gain down sure it wont draw as much power

Right but the amps will still see a low impedance, so does it matter if the gain is lower? Will it be safer like that? That was what i was trying to explain

I did this in a mini van that I built. At full tilt I saw voltage drop to the high 12s. If you want to do this I will advise you to set your gains with a good oscope and make sure you have no clipping. Box rise should take care of rest. With running below recommended impedance you want to be very careful setting your gains and make sure you dont put any extra strain on the amps.

If you have to ask, DONT DO IT!!!

Everyone here is giving you bad advice, and shouldnt be telling a newbie to do this...

I wouldnt really consider myself a newbie i just wasnt sure how gain affected impedance or if it even did but as for the rest, i wanted to see what people thought of my electrical backbone. But ive been doin it for awhile now. I am a noob to competitions though

The gain is not going to effect the impedance. What you have to do is make sure that the gains are set properly. If you plan on running at 1ohm strapped the signal MUST BE CLEAN!!!! I strongly suggest that you purchase and oscope, personally I like the TPI440, to set your gains. I dont know what your knowledge of tuning your system is, but you need to start at you Headunit and make sure you have a clean signal into the amps through the RCAs and then set you amp gains to match. If you do this right then you should be just fine running the amps at .5 ohm each.

I have a question though, now if you run a amp at a low impedance, for instance .5 ohms, does ot matter if you go lower on the gains? Like would it be safer that way or is half ohms, half ohms if you know what im sayin? I know gains are for level matching but wasnt sure how it would effect low impedances. I hope you kinda understand what im saying

You really need to turn the gain down.

Since the amp is not going to actually double it's output at 0.5 ohms, then you cannot expect to have the same voltage and double the current - that would be double power. Gain is nothing more than a way to set the ratio of the voltage in to the voltage out, so the gain will need to be lower to prevent damage to the amp (unless it will come close to actually doubling output from 1 ohm to 0.5 ohms).

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Archived