A Suburban A Warhorse and a pair of Double Dees

Damn that looks nice! You sir are one patient man! You gotta be getting close now!

Btw I may "borrow" some of your ideas!

Thanks bro. :drink40: What every you see is yours to build upon and make better. That's why we're here, to share and enjoy. No homo. :P

the attn to detail in this build is ridiculous... good shit bro

Thanks. We're getting there. Once it's all buttoned up all this will go un-noticed, and well be in groundpounder heaven. :)

Thanks fellas. :fing34: I've been putting some work in the ol' burb, but my camera's battery decided to take a permanent vacation. :jon: I finally got a chance to pic up one of those multi-memory card reader thingies. Now I'm back in action using the wife's fancy Nikon. :) This time around I made a fuse holder holder for the power cables off the alternators. Nothing fancy, just a steel plate to keep everything together under the hood. Here is my steel plate drilled and ready for tapping.

DSC03693.jpg

Three holes and twenty minutes later, FHACK!!!! Broken tap. :(

DSC03691.jpg

I borrowed one of these bad mahmajamas from work. We use these in our CNC machines. 8-32 thread, spiral 3 flute design, bottoming tap for blind holes.

DSC03694.jpg

It tapped like a dream. Using this tap really brought back the fun in doing this work. It was like a hot knife cutting through butter. It took less than five minutes to tap the rest of the holes. I love the chips this tap makes. Bummer it's $18 a tap. o_o

DSC03695.jpg

Here is a shot of the fuse holder holder assembly.

DSC03697.jpg

DSC03698.jpg

Here is where I'm thinking of placing it.

DSC03704.jpg

Before I do I'm going to have to do something about this whachamacallit.

DSC03705.jpg

To keep it simple I'm going to move it up and over a bit to clear the upper power cables. Here you can see the reference mark I put on the upper right mount.

DSC03706.jpg

I traced the mounting profile onto a sheet of paper then moved the whachamacallit over to the new location lining the reference mark up with the upper right mount.

DSC03708.jpg

With the mounting locations drawn, I marked the centers of the mounting holes. I followed up by doing my folding paper trick. This saves me time by not having to measure and remember numbers to make the part I need to make.

DSCN0092.jpg

Essentially what I do is just lay my plate on the sheet and transfer all the reference marks onto the plate. Then I just use a ruler to connect the reference marks, locating the hole centers.

DSCN0093.jpg

With the hole centers located I use a center punch to create location dimples for my hand punch.

DSCN0099.jpg

Here it is, what ever it is, relocated up and over just a smidgen. :)

DSCN0100.jpg

DSCN0105.jpg

Here is a preview of what's to come. Yes it's in black and white.

DSCN0080.jpg

:)

Is there a chance that the "whachamacallit" may be your ECM? Or maybe ABS modual?

Nice job moving it, btw.

Man I really love every step you take in this build! No homo :drinks:

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

lovin' it!

Is there a chance that the "whachamacallit" may be your ECM? Or maybe ABS modual?

Nice job moving it, btw.

Man I really love every step you take in this build! No homo :drinks:

Well the ECU is up by the front battery so it can't be that. It could be for the ABS. You know what, now that I think about it, it could be the transmission controller. I can vaguely remember my Monte Carlo having a similarly shaped thingie when I dropped an LY6-4L80E combo in it. Yep, that's what it is, a transmission controller, I'm sure of it.

Well thanks for helping me solve the mystery of "WTF is this!" :yahoo: Also thanks for the kind words, no homo taken. :trippy:

Thread bump. :P I've got some more work done, no I'm not done yet, thanks for asking. I updated my quad alt bracket setup a bit. If you'd like to read about it I posted my updated in my quad alt bracket review thread. Here is a link in case you're interested.

My link

Now onto my build. Nothing spectacular here, just got the power cables cut and installed. I started off by taking some measurement and making notes. Got to love notes. You start off thinking proactively and taking notes. Then when it comes to going back to them, you read them and that make no sense what so ever. Well here is a shot of my chicken scratches.

DSCN0106.jpg

With measurements in hand it's time to cut some cable. Just got to find me a little room. I think I found the spot. These are going to be some long cables.

DSCN0112.jpg

Wouldn't you know it, I ran out of cable. :( I ended up buying some more cable at the local welding supply store. Paid a premium for cable I wasn't impressed with. Oh well, what do you do? I got a little more than what I needed, so I'm going to bundle it up on the side till I get the cable I like. That way I can use this cable for something else. Here are some shots of the cable runs.

DSCN0158.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

DSCN0159.jpg

DSCN0161.jpg

More on the way. Stay tuned. :)

Moar updates. :o I got a chance to work all weekend on this bish, and I'm still not done. :( Any ways, on today's installment of the never ending build I worked on an alternator wiring harness. The quad alt bracket kit came with these plain ol' pigtails.

DSCN0124.jpg

Not bad, but I'm wanting something that will plug right into the factory harness without any cutting and splicing. After a bit of searching I found and outfit online that sold individual connectors terminals and little thing-a-ma-gigs. I ordered a few and this is what came in.

DSCN0113.jpg

If we're going to do this we're going to do it with the right tools.

DSCN0167.jpg

DSCN0163.jpg

Check the crimp it leaves

DSCN0129.jpg

Well I though I had the right connector, turns out I didn't. The orientation tang is on the wrong side. :( It's okay I can use these to plug into the factory harness. I'll salvage to connectors off the pigtails to connect to the alternators.

DSCN0117.jpg

DSCN0118.jpg

Here is a shot of the factory alternator plug.

DSCN0120.jpg

Here is the new plug on the factory harness. Interchanging between this new plug and the original alternator plug is a breeze. All it takes is a toothpick to bend down the terminal retaining tang. Then just pull out the terminal, bend up the retaining tang, then install in the original plug. Easy peazy. :)

DSCN0121.jpg

Here is the mating plug to the new plug.

DSCN0123.jpg

With plug-gate sorted out I opted to make the harness on the bench. Here is how everything got routed.

DSCN0131.jpg

The finished product ready for install. :)

DSCN0132.jpg

:)

We're on a roll tonight.

This is it fellas, I'm buttoning things up. Staring at the front, working towards the rear. Up first, everything under the hood. Lets start off with some shots of the alts.

DSCN0139.jpg

Hey everybody, it's the creampuff making a cameo appearance. :P

DSCN0146.jpg

Here is a shot of the power cables to the firewall if you were 9ft tall.

DSCN0140.jpg

Close up of the fuse holder, holder. :P

DSCN0141.jpg

A straight shot following the cables into the firewall.

DSCN0142.jpg

Side shot of the fuses.

DSCN0147.jpg

I also got the inner wheel well in place. Here is how the grounds look. Stealthy, as intended. :)

DSCN0143.jpg

Here is looking up from the ground at the grounds. :\

DSCN0144.jpg

That's it for tonight.

Archived