Sundown Audio

Tech question about impedance and amps

Trâgîk

I just wanted to know exactly how it would affect the whole electrical system, for instance:

Im getting two amps and im going to run them strapped with the speaker resistance at 4 ohms(daily) so they will see 2 ohms a piece obviously. Will my electrical system (alternator,batts,ect) still have to be as strong and work just as hard to put out its full amount of power at 2 ohms or .5 ohms? I understand lower resistance makes more power but with higher resistance how does it affect the rest of the elecrtical? I know the amps like it better because they operate more efficiently amd run cooler but what about the alt and batteries? Do they still work as hard?

The only reason why i ask is because i am still waiting on my dc power alt but i have a 180A H/O alt in there now and if i strap the amps and ran them a .5 ohms a piece i dont think it will be enough to do that so im going to run them at 2 ohms a piece and that should he alot easier on my electrical right?

-----SELLING EVERYTHING----

2 DC sound labs 3.5k's (still avail)

2 HDC312A D1's (still avail)

5 XS Power Batteries (1 d3400 and 1 d1200 left)

4 runs of knukoncepz 0 gauge (have all the wire still)

DC power 270XP alt (sold)

RF T1 6.5 components (both sold)

Powerbass XAX 4160 (still avail)

Custom built box 4.75^3 tuned 34hz (still avail)

It looks like you've got 5 XS batteries in your car already from your sig. Now I'm not sure what size batts they are but with a 180 amp alt and 5 batts you should be good for a few thousand watts. Are the 2 amps you're talking about the 2 DC 3.5K's? I trust you've done the Big 3 already with that kinda of setup going in.

As far as strain on the electrical goes, no, your alt will be less strained with the amps seeing 2 ohms each than if they were each seeing .5 ohms. The amps are pulling less power, meaning the batteries are being drained less. And if the batteries are drained less, the amp doesn't have to work as hard to recharge them. You should be fine with your current setup with the amps at 2 ohms. Once you get your DC alt in, I'd still be cautious at .5. Going below 1 ohm opens the door for tons of issues, even for people who have done it before.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

It looks like you've got 5 XS batteries in your car already from your sig. Now I'm not sure what size batts they are but with a 180 amp alt and 5 batts you should be good for a few thousand watts. Are the 2 amps you're talking about the 2 DC 3.5K's? I trust you've done the Big 3 already with that kinda of setup going in.

As far as strain on the electrical goes, no, your alt will be less strained with the amps seeing 2 ohms each than if they were each seeing .5 ohms. The amps are pulling less power, meaning the batteries are being drained less. And if the batteries are drained less, the amp doesn't have to work as hard to recharge them. You should be fine with your current setup with the amps at 2 ohms. Once you get your DC alt in, I'd still be cautious at .5. Going below 1 ohm opens the door for tons of issues, even for people who have done it before.

Thanks man, i have the dc 3.5ks,yeah i have my big 3 done amd i have 4 runs of knukonceptz 0 gauge front to back(2+ 2-) with a d1200 up front amd 4 d3400's in the back but my alternators idle output kinda sucks compared to the good brands out there. Yeah my subs are still new too but i shouldve gotten D2's so i could run it at 1 ohm a piece :/

Im waiting on a dc power 270 xp but i still dont think i would wanna run .5 unless its like comps or something.

no reason to run .5 ohms. just get a better amp.

Well i hqve good amps, i wanted to go with the dc 5k but the sold out and i got a good deal on the two 3.5 dc amps so now i either have to get two more D1 subs or try and get some D2 subs...but yeah your right for daily, no need to do it but you know how it is, i hear that shit pounding! Lol

Archived