Sonic Electronix

well i ran into an issue today, which isnt TOO bad just its one of those things that dont go as planned that you gotta get around

well i was going to start a portion of my new build today, or at least test fit (thank god i test fit on this and didnt run into it last minute)

but i had originally planned to fit my ID CTX65cs comps in my doors, the mids are 6.5" which generally i can fit that circumfrance, however.. not that specific depth

i made these rings to go on the door panel, they are 3/4" MDF, with a 1/4" flush cut out for them.. flush is king and they fit in the rings like a charm (first time i made my own rings - so i was happy) i primered them and painted em so they wouldnt swell if they got moisture on them:

7354ca69.jpg

582972ae.jpg

2c4fa9d0.jpg

4125eadd.jpg

now actually in the doors:

c5aed1d1.jpg

59051bbd.jpg

NOW i came into this KNOWING i would have to cutout some of the door panel to get the mid to get inside the door, that was expected cause it is stock 4x6 i had... now when i went to test fit" the woofer here is what i got:

9a54ca1a.jpg

door panel, mounting ring, woofer.. with about a 1" gap from the woofer to the mounting ring, no.. the woofer isnt having an issue passing through the 4x6 hole (yet) the motor is hitting the window track inside the door panel FTMFL, as you may be able to see how close in the pic below:

c5aed1d1.jpg

i wouldnt exactly say POOR planning, i never thought about it cause ive fit 6" and 6.5" mids in there before, the reason i went with these mounting rings was because the 4x6 adapters that are available from my car go from 1/2" to 1" on an angle and the woofer would hit against the door panel cause of the angle the original adapter was on

so now i have to figure out a wal to get these to fit, gotten too far now to send them back for a refund and convert back down to 6" or even 5 1/4" :(

any suggestions? i considered doing something like this:

183697_10150091828316451_510681450_6350388_2309211_n.jpg

but IMO that would look tacky, and wouldnt i lose midbass? also, that door panel above is the same exact door panel i am working with, it is from the same kind of car (2002 Pontiac grand AM SE 4 door)

i did consider glassing door panels, but i really dont have the time, nor the experience to work with something like that

edit:

in the pic above showing the door panel with the speakers, where the SINGLE speaker is is where my factory grille is, its molded into the door panel so has to be cut out.

Edited by BeAlLsTaR13

Team Sundown Audio

**CURRENT** -- 2012 Scion tC Build Click Here

**OLD** -- 2002 Pontiac Grand AM Build Click Here
check them out, slap me a comment

2002 Pontiac Grand AM SE 2.2l 4 cylinder ecotec.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Head Unit - Alpine CDA-9887
Subs - 2x Z 12 v.2s - v.3 + NS Soft parts
Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAZ-3500D
Enclosure - 3.33 Cubes tuned to 34.66hz
Front Stage - JBL P660c 6.5" Components
Rear Deck - Powerbass 4xl 6.5" Mid-Range
Front Stage Amplifier - Sundown Audio SAX-100.4D
Wires - Kicker Hyperflex 1/0, KnuKonceptz 1/0, Knu 4 and 8 Gauge, Kicker RCAs
Electrical - 275 AMP DC Power H/O Alternator, XS Power S3400, XS Power D2700
Videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/BeAILsTaR13

damn, no one?

Team Sundown Audio

I had to mount them on my panel for clearance also. But It's pretty secure, and I kind of have a "groove" to mount it on. Your panel is just smooth with no curves. Yes you will lose some midbass because it isnt sealed between the panel and the inner door enclosure so you are losing a lot of energy. I am working on a way to seal it up perfectly. I'll work on it in the spring. Good luck.

IMG_20101126_151414.jpg

Edited by finkster

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

whats funny though, is i ALMOST bought those same RE XXX comps haha, and i knew i stood no chance with that mounting depth

but a guy on SSA told me a way im possibly going to try to mount them on the door panel as well as keeping the mid bass, if not improving it as well

below is his post from SSA:

edit: assuming you dont have enough room between skin and panel for another mdf ring for more mounting depth!!!

im trying to find a picture of how you can do it. no luck so far....

so ill try to do an outline of the steps but you will have to imagine how it its going to look...

1 remove door panel.

2 attach a mounting brace across the stock speaker hole on the metal door skin. this will hold on to a fiberglass pod.

3 put the door panel back on

4 looking at the hole in the door panel where the speaker would be you can no see a metal brace spanning the internal door skin.

5 tape off from the door panel to the door skin and flat across the metal brace (will look like a bowl shape. (what will happen here is that this create a "tunnel" or cylinder shape chamber that the speaker will be mounted to. also keeps the the rear sound wave from the speaker firing into the cavity in the door.)

6 mount the speaker ring to this mold.. method would probably involve fiberglassing it..

7 what you should have now is essentially a fiberglass pod.

8 remember that brace attached to the door skin? use bolts to attach the pod to the brace.

9 decide what alignment you will be using the speaker in? aka infinite baffle, firing into the door, or sealed (or aperiodic). to vent the pod into the door just cut/drill some holes on either side of the brace to vent the pod into the door.

10 mount speaker to the ring

hopefully you can kind of visualize this... in short your creating a speaker pod just outside the door panel that is attached to the door skin via a brace, which is then vented into the door correctly.

edited for condition of dimensions!!!!

if i understand correctly, doing this seals from the door panel to the actual door its self, which you can then drill in the back to get it to fire in the door panel its self as well but still remained seal between the door skin, and the actual door panel

here is a picture of my door panel, well same car just this is a 2 door, mine is a 4 door so little smaller but same exact design as for as the speaker grille goes:

41273568.jpg

Edited by BeAlLsTaR13

Team Sundown Audio

damn, no one?

I haz a car like joo, I mounted my Rainbow mids like this, and they still have plenty of midbass.

Here is how they look in the doors

05202010151.jpg

You will have to cut some of the plastic off the door cover though at least I did.

Edit: Also I did this since I ran into the same problem as you with the back of the mid hitting the door track even with spacers, and if I spaced it anymore the mid was gonna hit the door panel, and I didnt want it rubbin on the surround of the mid.

Edited by CaptainzPlanetz

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

guess it wont look too bad with a grille over it eh? maybe i'll just do that if i cant find a better way but most likely i will go that route

Team Sundown Audio

hmm... i might trade you my rainbow mids for the CTX mids. they are about 2.5" deep. nothing wrong with then, just want to try the CTX as a midbass driver. my rainbows are a higher priced set so its a good trade.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

hmm... i might trade you my rainbow mids for the CTX mids. they are about 2.5" deep. nothing wrong with then, just want to try the CTX as a midbass driver. my rainbows are a higher priced set so its a good trade.

hmm i'd prolly consider it, got a link? just gonna figure out what im gonna end up doing first before i do anything though lol

Team Sundown Audio

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

i was looking at the mounting depth of the 2 mids, my old RSDs, and the current IDs i have

here is the picture i just took:

319ff7db.jpg

but get this,.. when i looked at the mounting depth for each woofer, it said the pheonix gold RSD 6" mid was 2 7/8" (2.875") and my Image dynamic mids are 2 3/4" (2.75")

i dont see how that is possible when i fit the other ones in fine...... but according to the pic, the ID is quite bigger by maybe 1/3"

Team Sundown Audio