What tuning to go with for bar woofer box?

I'm the house DJ at a local bar, and we currently have a old Peavey SP218 bass cabinet. We put in fresh baskets about a month ago, and it sounds great to a point... but the low notes are barely audible if at all, you can hear the thump but nothing else. We have it powered by a Behringer EPQ-2000, which at 8 ohms puts out 2000 watts, but because our cabinet is 4 ohms it's more than likely sending out more. The SP218 is 4800 watts max, 2400 program, and 1200 rms I believe. Currently it sounds great, I've found a good medium to run it at, but there is just no super low notes... For instance, the bottom two low notes in Put On, isn't not audible at all.

I've talked to my boss about designing and building a new box that's tuned differently and he told me to do research, and what better place to do it at then on here?

I'm thinking it's an enclosure flaw for why we're not able to get the low notes... We're planning on adding 2 more 18" woofers to the mix in coming months, I'm wondering would it be beneficial to design one box for the lows, and one box for the mid level bass? Two boxes that look identical, but are tuned differently to represent the whoel spectrum...

Thanks for any advice.

the box probably isnt tuned very low, does the amplifier have a subsonic setting?

if you wanna run 2 different boxes, make sure to set each one's crossovers. so like have one that goes from 20-50hz, the next 50-8O.

wizv.jpg

200a alt. by Excessive Amperage

hc800 under hood & 2 Deka 9a31 in rear

1/0awg + big 3

SAZ 3000D

HDC3 18" @ 2 ohm

• 1 month later...

Archived