Mechman Alternators

i had the exact problem in my truck and i've asked the world and all i kept getting is that my batteries were drained.

once i charged them all up i still had the issue and was still reading 12.5v at resting. all i could do was to replace the alt with a different company and try my luck again.

REFF'S
My link
EBAY
http://feedback.ebay...ck&myworld=true
I love car audio so much because I will never be done. I can never win, and I will never get it finished or perfect. It always has me coming back for more, I can never get my fill of it, but I get what I need.

At 600 rpm, you are not going to have much output from a 300 amp alternator. Combine that with 7 big batteries that are probably not topped off to start with (they should rest a 13.0 volts by themselves if they are fully charged and in good shape) and you will almost certainly have 12.5 volts at idle. With as much power as you are running, and with an alternator with that much peak output, it is totally expected to have low voltage at that low of an idle speed. Under normal driving, the batteries will get charged properly, it doesn't hurt anything for the voltage to be a little low at only 600 engine RPM. Obviously with 11KWRMS+ you should never play the system at idle anyway, I would recommend installing a hand throttle if you want to do parking lot demos.

ok i just got back from a trip and i tested some things...

first problem i should of mentioned was my stock alt is the oval 3 prong type. the alt i got is a square 4 prong.

matt sent me the adapter that drops in before the volt booster. i gotta call matt cause the volt booster harness is not clicking in, i can pull the volt booster harness off on both ends without pushing the release.

i noticed the volt booster blue wire (with the pot) on the 4 prong plug does not meet up with the 3 plug adapter but the voltage was boosting (erratically)may be because the voltage harness cant plug in to lock.

i did top off the batts with an external charger. the batts rest at 12.9 with the car off.

disconnected the volt booster and it idles at 12.6 at ~600rpm goes up to 13.6 at 2000rpm.

Edited by dohckiller808

• 5 months later...

Which fuse is your "main fuse"? Your vehicle has many fuses and without knowing which fuse melted I can't even begin to speculate as to the nature of your problem.

Keep in mind that low voltage does not melt fuses, excessive amperage and heat melts fuses. Idling for extended periods of time, often well beyond the recommendations of the manufacturer, in hot weather, with a heavy load on the electrical system such as your AC, can and will damage things that are heat sensitive such as wiring and fuses.

The voltage was well in the 10s. That low voltage with any load designed for 12 volt will heat up faster than normal, yes?

Volts x amps = watts

So low volts need more amps for things to run right? The excessive draw is due from low voltage...

The main fuse popped as in the only thing that worked which was surprising was my motor. Everything else was dead. Dash, lights, windows, ac.

Is there an even smaller pully that would fit on this alt?

Edited by dohckiller808