Sundown Audio

Cooked my amp

ahoz28

I have a t4k sitting in my garage right now that is blown. Fosgate will charge a flat rate of 459? or 549? (forgot which) to fix it. Most repair shops are alergic to those.

Great amps.. I don't subscribe to the theory you need to run smaller amps "just in case they blow" - thats nonsense.

Check out StoneSounds to see my recent builds.Or look at the Flying White Facebook Page!

Don't even bother trying to fix an amp like this. You need a scope, for a start, and a couple of years experience fixing other big amps. Plus these amps use heaps of surface mount (not to mention that god-damned MEHSA) parts so you need to be able to do SM rework as well.

I've never seen damage to caps like that. It really, really looks to me like the caps were rubbing really badly on the casing and they wore through and created a short across the power supply section which blew the MOSFETs.

Low voltage doesn't blow amps. That's a myth.

hmmm not excatly true. having low voltage doesn't really blow amps its the current being drawn to produce 4k at lower voltage is what kills amps power supply. as voltage goes down current goes up, FET's get hot and then pop!

05 Ford F150 Single Cab

Audio:

-Pioneer DEH-3200DVD

-Hertz Hi-energy 5x7 Front

-RE Audio 5x7 Rear

-DD 2512 in Custom 40 Hz Box

-Eclipse EA4100 High/Mid amp

-Eclipes XA1000 Sub amp

-Audison Connnection RCAs

-Random wire:Kicker,RF,Lightning Audio

didnt even notice the caps at first.. holy shit!

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

right. I have never seen blown caps like that.

05 Ford F150 Single Cab

Audio:

-Pioneer DEH-3200DVD

-RE Audio 5x7 Rear

-Eclipes XA1000 Sub amp

i believe you, but i really would like to hear your explanation for this.

hmmm not excatly true. having low voltage doesn't really blow amps its the current being drawn to produce 4k at lower voltage is what kills amps power supply. as voltage goes down current goes up, FET's get hot and then pop!

*anti nut hug device activated* boon is probably one of the smartest if not THE smartest man on the forum when it comes to amplifiers...just sayin

i believe you, but i really would like to hear your explanation for this.

*anti nut hug device activated* boon is probably one of the smartest if not THE smartest man on the forum when it comes to amplifiers...just sayin

maybe be he is, but as far as i know running amps at a lower voltage like low 11s often results in blown power supply parts. also the power supplys work harder at lower voltages to produce the same amount of power as it would say 14V. The only solution i can come up with is the excess current being drawn to produce the 4kW.

I guess boon with school me about this in a bit....its all good. alot of ppl will like to know the answer to blown power supplys.

05 Ford F150 Single Cab

Audio:

-Pioneer DEH-3200DVD

-RE Audio 5x7 Rear

-Eclipes XA1000 Sub amp

Don't even bother trying to fix an amp like this. You need a scope, for a start, and a couple of years experience fixing other big amps. Plus these amps use heaps of surface mount (not to mention that god-damned MEHSA) parts so you need to be able to do SM rework as well.

I've never seen damage to caps like that. It really, really looks to me like the caps were rubbing really badly on the casing and they wore through and created a short across the power supply section which blew the MOSFETs.

I didn't get good pics of the cover but looks like it was rubbing. I will have to look at the others to see if they are rubbing. I only play short test tones then stop and charge my batteries but my volt meter is questionable. I have been running the same kind of amps for years with no problems one is 3 to four yrs old and works fine.

DBR electronics from Texas would not fix my amp. He didn't say why maybe old or bad technology. :shrug:

Call RF.

I have they are going to fix it for me.

I have a t4k sitting in my garage right now that is blown. Fosgate will charge a flat rate of 459? or 549? (forgot which) to fix it. Most repair shops are alergic to those.

Great amps.. I don't subscribe to the theory you need to run smaller amps "just in case they blow" - thats nonsense.

To be honest I cant see running more amps for that reason ether. I would like to run one big amp when I change things.

I wish the camera was on but i was scared LOL

Hm, I was charged $275 from RF to repair a T4000 I picked up that was blown. Purchased for $75 so that plus shipping and placed a pretty amp inside my exgirlfriends ride.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Archived