Fi universal option

So Ive been looking around trying to find a twin for my ssd and am having a hard time finding a D1 sub. Fi's website says that if you don't get the universal option they "optimize" the motor for your specific ohm choice.

Is this just some marketing hype to make you buy another sub? Or can I buy a D2 sub without the universal option and recone it to a D1?I guess I just don't understand how they "optimize" the motor for a specific ohm load. Do the charge the magnet more or less to get get certain ohm loads?

Car: 2000 Ford Focus 4 door

HU: Kenwood KDC-X395

Front Highs: stock

Back Mids: Stock

Subs: Skar VVX-12 ( 1.79 f3 tuned to 32 hz)

Amp:Audiopipe APSM 1500 mini

Wiring: KnuKoncepts Kolossus 4awg

if i recall correctly, it has something to do with the voice coil gap on the motor itself. the Dual 1 and Dual 2 motors have different gap widths. i forget which one, but one motor is basically universal already (example: meaning if you buy the dual 2 woofer and you dont choose universal, you can swap it with a D1 recone with no problems but you cant do the opposite. it might be the opposite, hence why im saying im not sure)

Edited by Kranny

That would be awesome If I could do that. It would be nice to save money and buy a used ssd... especially since Fi isnt making regular ssd's anymore. Although neo ssd's would be sweet money is tight. Anyone else??

The coils have different thickness, the dual2 is thicker than the dual 1. So when they say the optimize the motor is the dual 1 has a tighter gap than the dual 2 motor.

It basically means they both have the same motor strength when they do it this way.

Instead of having a huge gap for a little coil and less strength.

Fi doesn't do marketing hypes. I don't even know why you would think that.

They try to give you the a sub built exactly how you want it. This does have a few draw backs in trying to buy used and having to perfectly match them.

Do you have the universal option? If not, I would just keep looking, until you find a dual1 motor.

Thank for the responses. Wasn't trying to knock Fi. Everyone of their products that Ive had experience with has been excellent. As far as the ssd that I have being universal I have no clue. It was bought off of a guy on here and he hasn't been on since January. Just was wondering if a recone from D2 to D1 was possible without the universal option. Guess I'll just have to keep looking for a D1 then.