1989 toyota supra modernizing budget build.

ok im a noob here but what im doing is trying to modernize my 80's car stereo to something more modern and like what cars today are coming with stock..im not going for huge bass but just a nice clean sound and as stock a look as i can possibly get...what im installing will be the:

kenwood excelon kdc-x994

four polk audio db651 coaxial 6.5"s

and a sundown "new" sa8 d2

this will all be powered by a soundstream reference 405s 5ch.

i have to get the front speaker baffles from a 91+ supra since mine only has 4" speakers in it stock, although ive managed to get polk audio db501 coaxial into all four 4" speaker locations....most of my parts will not arrive till later in the week but i already have the amp (thanks pat) and wiring that i got from knukoncepts (hope i spelled that right) so i could at least make some progress and as parts come in it can be a plug and play situation hopefully...i am currently waiting on the head unit front speaker baffles and custom rear pods and all four 6.5"s...but here is what ive done so far.

here i have soldered my battery connector for my battery power.

IMG00001-20110301-1256.jpg

i think this will work for routing in the engine bay.

IMG00004-20110301-1257.jpg

and down through this hole that was made by the previous owners install.

IMG00003-20110301-1257.jpg

luckily i was able to run my power through the fire wall and get behind this mess of an alarm the previous owner left me. and its not even a good alarm.

IMG00007-20110301-1258.jpg

power wire through the wall and out off the birds nest and door sill removed.

IMG00008-20110301-1259.jpg

i noticed toyota has a small tunnel for the main body harness i was able to utilize to keep my "stockness" level up.

IMG00009-20110301-1301.jpg

IMG00009-20110301-1301.jpg

tada!

IMG00010-20110301-1310.jpg

im able to pull all of the BS wiring and poor install my previous owner left for me. (red is his)

IMG00010-20110301-1310.jpg

running through the back seat was kinda so fast and easy i forgot to take pictures but here it is all through into the trunk. oh yeah and i was running the speaker wire for the front door at the same time too.

IMG00011-20110301-1419.jpg

and now for the passenger side. same as the other side but im running my rca's down the passenger side since i never see that side (or anyone else for that matter). i was unable to utilize the tunnel for the body harness on this side do to the 3 monster sized rca's and the loom i used for extra protection. so i ran it as close to the corner of the carpet/floorboard as possible.

IMG00012-20110301-1533.jpg

again backseats where the easy part so no pics there but here are the rca's in the trunk.

IMG00014-20110301-1536.jpg

IMG00015-20110301-1537.jpg

this was going to be my original ground placement.

IMG00016-20110301-1625.jpg

but after some looking and rethinking i found a place that would be less wire rub from the spare tire cover and the back seats moving up and down if i need to use them, and also keeping my "stockness" level high. hard to see in the pic (thats a good thing) and this required no new holes, just a bit of sanding. i used the bolt for the back seat latch. it worked well.

IMG00017-20110301-1640.jpg

i knew this would be a pu**y getter.

IMG00020-20110301-1656.jpg

this is a basic idea of how it will look once its mounted.(seats down)

IMG00021-20110301-1657.jpg

(seats up)

IMG00023-20110301-1658.jpg

i made it alot farther today than i had expected so i went ahead and connected power, plugged in the rca's and hooked up the remote wire, and put the stock 4" boxes in and my db501's

IMG00024-20110301-1807.jpg

this is the stock toyota box for the front doors..look pretty odd but they do make a tiny speaker sound quite a bit better.

IMG00025-20110301-1807.jpg

so thats where im at so far...head shoud be here tomorrow so ill get that in pretty fast and front door baffles and speakers should be here and installed by the weekend the rear speaker pods and the 8" sub will take a bit more doing. i hope picture quality is ok as these are all off my blackberry and ive lost my normal digital camara...

Pretty nice work man! I am kinda the same way with my car. When you sit in the pass seat you'd never assume theres an 18" sub and almost 5krms on tap. That is until i turn it up. The only audio related thing you can SEE is the radio.

If you need a box design let me know. I have a little experience with hatchbacks.

And welcome to SMD dude, you'll fit in just fine!

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

yeah man i forgot that part....here is a few pics of the car itself...

DSC02676.jpg

DSC02675.jpg

DSC02674.jpg

DSC02598.jpg

its mostly stock but it does have a 3" turbo elbow downpipe and exhaust. it has all emissions removed and a japanese ECU a boost controller and a few other doodads removed or rerouted ect...its got the coils off a new supra as they are cleaner and hotter....

here is the motor from last summer.. its still got the old coils on it...i havent taken pics since i put the 2jz coils in...

DSC02601.jpg

its pretty much like this though...

yeah lowering is on the cards for late summer...im going about 1.5" cause i want to keep it semi comfy and drivable since its my daily car....2" is actually pretty slammed on these cars and guys are running into rubbing issues ect.

hey pat i wish you could be here too man...i case of coors would sure make this build a lot more fun...its nice to back building something again...i hope it turns out as good as i think it will...just went out on my first test drive and with no tuning on the amp it really made even my little 501's sound pretty damn good...they sound like alot bigger speakers and now im really really excited for my 651's...should get nice and loud then....

oh my god she's gorgeous..... :popcorn::good:

masterbation is free, and even saves you money.sorry but someone had to say it

sorry, Jimmy...beat you to it (no pun intended)

LOLDON'T get a wife. Best advice I never got, and now it's too late <_<

My build: 12" DCON in a dorm room.

New/current build: 8" woofer, custom amplifier block, fiberglassed speaker pods

thanks bumpinTL i work really hard to keep it in good shape. and its not easy with all the salt its seen this winter...its by no means a fast project since i have to drive it everyday so everything i do has to be able to be done on my days off (no more than 2 in a row) or i have to be able to do it in stages like this stereo will be...i should be able to install the peices as they come in. except the sub...still unsure how that is gonna go in and probly wont until ive got the box plans in hand and can kinda set it in and play a bit....

Archived