Dorm Room System 2.0 sub suggestions? And build to follow

Hey guys, for all of you who may remember the build I did for my dorm room a few years back, I had to take a little while off but now in college I'm back in full force. A quick reminder of my equipment as of right now:

Aura 4000RPM coaxial 4" speakers

Pyle Pro PCA3 2ch amp

Bash 300s subwoofer amp

DCON 12" subwoofer

The box the DCON is currently in was originally built for a slightly different woofer and has suffered water and other damages over the years, so it will most likely either become a car box or scrap. The DCON is also way too much for my tiny dorm room, so I'm thinking about swapping out my sub stage and doing an 8" in either a ported box (I want to try using aeroports for this one) or a t-line if I can make it fit. My question here is who builds an affordable 8", 4ohm sub that can handle 300watts, and why are so many 2.1 systems using small aeroports. Would I be better off using aeros or going for a t-line?

Next up is the mid/highs stage: The 4" aura get the job done and should be able to balance out a smaller 8" sub much better than they do my current 12. I will definitely be redoing the enclosures I built for them, and my plan is to build sexy fiberglass domes/pods that are smaller, air-tight, and much easier on the eyes than the crappy boxes I built for them years ago.

My last endeavor here is to combine the two amplifiers I'm running into a single unit. Being that I'm taking engineering classes at the moment, I am considering working with a professor to both build a housing for all the boards as well as a reorganized faceplate to put all the controls in one place. I'm also considering doing some serious modifications of the boards and controls so as to have all the boards stacked up and not in the way of each other, and creating a unified volume knob while retaining bass and treble controls on my mids/highs as well as the crossover for my substage, as well as being able to use a single set of inputs.

All questions, comments, notes of interest are welcome! I will put pics up soon so you can get a better idea of my plans. Thanks for looking!

masterbation is free, and even saves you money.sorry but someone had to say it

sorry, Jimmy...beat you to it (no pun intended)

LOLDON'T get a wife. Best advice I never got, and now it's too late <_<

My build: 12" DCON in a dorm room.

New/current build: 8" woofer, custom amplifier block, fiberglassed speaker pods

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha I've pissed a few people off but I try to keep it reasonable. I only really turn it up when people want demos and before I do I let everyone in my hall know...

I was an RA for a couple years, glad you wernt in my hall lol.

So much sound for such a tiny room. Hell, after moving out of the dorms and into my first house, there was people who rented upstairs so I diddnt even bother bringing my nice speakers from home just out of respect to them.

But now that where I'm living now we have the whole house, I allow myself to listen to music at an enjoyable level, but still not as loud as to bother the neighbors.

IMO, it's kinda like bumping at stoplights, some people rather not have to deal with it and I respect that.

I hate long signatures....

...what the fuck is wrong wiht you you fucking fuckity fuck fuck head...

Mtnbikecrazy55 Feedback

yeah i feel that, I just really enjoy being able to say "yeah I built my whole setup" and the looks on kids faces and their reactions to when they hear it. Honestly I want to be a little bit louder than necessary but mostly want quality, lively sound throughout the whole range...boomzoom that REF 8" looks great, I actually had looked at it earlier and forgot that I started a list of possibilities for this new setup. Here's what I'm thinking about for now:

Infinity REF 8" (250rms, 1000max, should handle 300rms daily right?)

JBL GTO804 (200rms, 800max)

Sundown E8v3D2 (300rms)

Rockford Fosgate Punch (200rms, 400max)

Thoughts? Obviously going with the sundown or infinity seems like the best choice as they can definitely handle the power I'll be using, but the RF is about $30 cheaper and I'm a poor college student.

Me and my suite mates used to shut down the whole floor and throw parties small school and everyone was athletes our RA was one of our offensive linemen. We got fined (big deal it was 110$ split between everyone on the floor) but the parties we threw were memories to last a lifetime....

In my experience the Punch will not go as low as the infinity but should get the job done...

JBL is pretty equal to the Infinity and both should handle 300rms unclipped no prob

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Good looking sub, thanks boomzoom for pointing out it's not 4ohms, doesn't give the impedance rating anywhere in the specs...I do want to stay with something I know my bash amp can play, though I don't think it would have too much trouble playing down at 2ohms (do you?). At worst I have a spare (fried) one that I have as a backup, but like I said, safety first :)

Archived