Vehicle:

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4

108200 Miles

Maintenance:

Oil Changes

No idea to any maintenance records prior to me owning it

Notes: The transmission pan is rotting (fuck new england)

Losing tranny fluid but small amounts. I'm parked on snow and it's only a few drops if any.

I was told it needs replacing but I can't find replacement parts for it anywhere.

Problem:

I was driving last night and as I was coasting down my hill, I hear a weird screeching noise but paid no mind to it really. I drove this morning and tried listening for the noise and I didn't hear much but as I reached 40-50 Mph it started shifting a little weird like it was going in and out of overdrive and there was a noticeable change in my RPMs. I stopped for a few minutes and let the car idle and then when I began driving, the screeching noise came back. I wasn't on my brakes or anything but it happens when I let off the gas and coast. It only happened a few times. After my car was running for an hour and I drove back home, the shifting issue was gone and I couldn't hear any screeching. Maybe the engine and tranny needed extra time to warm up since it was like 7 degrees outside (fuck new england) But I feel like this issue shouldn't be happening and I'd like to be ahead of the game and not wait for my tranny to explode.

Any ideas or advice?

Also, if you know where I can find the part I'm looking for, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance. :drinks:

-Jay Haley

formerly known as Jaylor Swift

check your tranny fluid. is it a screeching or a whining? It could be a belt.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

check your tranny fluid. is it a screeching or a whining? It could be a belt.

It's more of a "oh shit that doesn't sound good" Kinda hard to explain because I don't feel anything on the pedal or in the vehicle. Everything shifts smooth except for that one overdrive thing. The fluid was topped off a couple days ago and I haven't really seen much come out if any. I check all the time and it's just a drop here or there if it even does.

maybe flush the tranny.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

R u checking fluid in neutral?

I just ran outside and checked, its still full but Its cold so idk if that makes a huge difference. It's like 20 outside right now.

When I started it and popped the hood, it made the noise again but it didn't sound like it was the tranny at all but I couldn't see where it came from and nothing looks out of the ordinary.

I know the tranny pan needs replacing but I can't find the part.

Take a pic of the pan & send it to me. I work @ trans shop, might have 1 here. Wouldn't recommend flushing trans, we get a lot of calls from people that just had them flushed & now trans stops shifting. Drop the pan and change filter and gasket. U can then c if magnet has excessive metal or clutch materials in pan

99 GMC Suburban

2 Death Penalty 21"

2 Crescendo BC2000

Boston GT-42 Amp

6 Selenium 6w4p

4 Crescendo tweets

Hi output cs144 alt

Audiocontrol Epic-160

Pioneer DVD head unit

Take a pic of the pan & send it to me. I work @ trans shop, might have 1 here. Wouldn't recommend flushing trans, we get a lot of calls from people that just had them flushed & now trans stops shifting. Drop the pan and change filter and gasket. U can then c if magnet has excessive metal or clutch materials in pan

Just took a shitty pic, hopefully you can tell. It was hard to get a good angle.

I didn't see anything leaking or feel anything but it looks pretty rotted

tranny.jpg

I will be gone off to work for the next 10 hours. I'll answer and questions when I get home. And I'll let y'all know if anything happens during the drive.

Thanks for the help so far guys. :drink40: :drink40:

Everything went smooth on my way to work. Parked it and went into work. I let it warm up for about 20 minutes after it sat for a few hours in the cold, shifted into reverse fine but seemed to struggle a little with power and when I shifted into drive there was an unhealthy screeching sound as I pulled away but stopped after about 10 seconds. Drove for a few minutes and then reverse worked fine again. This whole issue with shifting and random unidentified noises is very sporadic. When I finally came home, everything was normal.