Blownengine's Dodge Ram Door Build Log

ok, well then all those spots between the fiberglass pieces are mostly held on by resin. it'll be a serious weak point and you have a lot of them. if you let the resin harden, then you have to sand it before adding another layer. especially if you use the bondo brand from home depot or wherever. that kind has a wax to it and the second layer will delaminate over time. so do all your layers at once if you can.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

ok, well then all those spots between the fiberglass pieces are mostly held on by resin. it'll be a serious weak point and you have a lot of them. if you let the resin harden, then you have to sand it before adding another layer. especially if you use the bondo brand from home depot or wherever. that kind has a wax to it and the second layer will delaminate over time. so do all your layers at once if you can.

Learn something new every day here :drinks: Thanks.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Heres how im attatching it to the door. 5 bolts per door. (The fronts at least) 4 smaller bolts and 1 that is a little larger.

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00122.jpg

DSC00123.jpg

One near the back

DSC00127.jpg

Four in the front to support the speakers weight. I will add washers later (these one will be covered by the speaker. They dont need to be pretty.)

DSC00125.jpg

From the back

DSC00128.jpg

They are only finger tight and I still cant get my fingers under any edges. Nice! :drink40:

DSC00129.jpg

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Learn something new every day here :drinks: Thanks.

no problem. fiberglassing is fun. every time you do it you will get a little better.

get as big of a washer as you can on each side of those bolts.

cant wait to see the skeleton.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Looks good. Couple things I would suggest. Either use nylon nuts so they dont back off or use some blue thread locker. also some kind of very thin padding to cut down on vibration noise. The bolts that are in the speaker grille...you might wanna use a fender washer on those. Dont want that grill material to break.

I dont see where anyone asked...whats the plan? What speakers are you using? How many?

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to put big washers on everything so no plastic or fiberglass breaks. I think I might even have to put a washer on the back bolt. It just means I will have a harder time smoothing it out.

I was thinking about using some double sided tape around the entire thing to help hold down the edges because I am forced to go so sparingly on the bolts. Padding is also a good idea I didnt think about.

I just got done adding another layer of fiberglass and mat. Hopefully that will be enough. (Because im running out fast!)

As far as equipment I will be running the same stuff I had before. (Us high schoolers be short on cash flow <_< )

Front doors: Pioneer TS-A6963R. 6x9's 3 way speaker

Rear Doors: Pioneer TS-G1643R. 6.5in 2 way speaker

Dash : Kicker KS350. 3.5in 2 way speaker

They are all kinda low end speakers but they are yet to blow. The Pioneers are actually the first thing I bought for my truck audio wise. Which means they have also faced the "High Schooler Car Audio Learning Curve"!!! I remember blaring these things with my stock radio with the bass ALL the way up. Man did they sound like crap but I thoght it was sweet. But they survived all that so I guess I have to tip my hat to Pioneer.

EDIT: The skeletons should be finished this weekend hopefully. Tennis season just started so now I have practice almost every day too on top of homework. :bull:

Big 3 with Yellow Top

MORE PICS!! Did another coat of fiberglass and resin. I hope it doesn't need any more.... <_<

I took a picture of my front speakers since my doors are off. I could get a picture of the back ones. I have to give a shout out to my friend Nick. I threw away the grills to my speakers (DOH! :ehh:) and he was cool enough to give me the grills from his Kenwoods. The 6x9's fit fine. I think they also look better than my old ones. The old one were tacky. These are black and will go with the pods that will be painted black.

Doors w/o panels. It's kinda annoying not having an armrest

DSC00131.jpg

Front speaker

DSC00132.jpg

The new grills

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

They say Kenwood. But its small so I dont care.

DSC00136.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

More fiberglass

DSC00138.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

The speakers will be so big that my only choices for mounting will be horizontal, or SLIGHTLY off horizontal. (Shown above)

I think I will just mount them horizontal. Because if I don't I think someone will look and them and go "Did you mean to mount them crooked?"

And I definitly don't want that.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

Made the skeletons after school today. I only got one door done, save the other for tomorrow. I still have ALOT of work to do. But when I test fit the door I got a little look at the finished product and I can't wait for these to be done now!

The speaker rings were made free hand. I used my router and slowly carved away the wood to make the speaker countersunk. It took forever and was exhausting.

DSC00146.jpg

DSC00149.jpg

DSC00150.jpg

DSC00153.jpg

DSC00155.jpg

DSC00156.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00159.jpg

DSC00161.jpg

DSC00162.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

The speakers take up more space than I would like but hey, not much I can do. Tomorrow I will make the skeleton for the other door hopefully. And maybe fiberglass then on Sunday, but that might be too wishfull of thinking.

Comments welcome :drinks:

Big 3 with Yellow Top

looks pretty good so far. when i started my pods that i never finished for my old explorer, i did the bolts the same way you did, but i glassed over the tops of them to hold em in place. lined up perfectly every time and didn't have to worry about them falling out when i moved it around.

only issue i potentially see is the counter sunk part of the rings you made looks really really thin. i'd try to reinforce that some if you can before it's too late.

Yea I was going to do a quick coat of resin over the bolts to hold them. It will also give the Bondo something to stick too.

You're right about the countersink, it is thin and weak. I'm going to re-do it. I'm so mad about it though because it took me 30 minutes with the router to do that work! <_< And that was only for one ring, I still have to do the other door. Idk why but I didnt think to check how deep it cut.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

Archived