Sonic Electronix

So I'm trying to upgrade my system now that I've saved up some money and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm thinking about getting (2) Soundstream T5-15s, or (2) Rockford Fosgate P3s. Also I'm having an issue with powering my system. I drive a Kia Sportage and the power is very limited, I've upgraded my battery and my alt. but still don't have enough power for the new system I'm going to get. I've been wondering is it a good idea/even possible to add a battery just for my system or what? Please help.

how many watts are you looking at running

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

If you could please elaborate what size alt and what brand/type battery you have currently installed that would help me guide you in the direction of what you need and what you dont. For the longest time i ran 2kw off a single 140 amp alt and an xs power s3400 with a bit of voltage drop but nothing too bad (only had 1v drop on very heavy bass hits)

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

I have a 90 amp alternator since I drive a Kia it's very limited. I'm trying to find a 120 amp alt. in the year model I have. I also have the best Duralast battery I could find to fit my car. I'm sure I could look into specialty batteries which I will do after work tonight.

Yea that alt is boning you hard for getting a damn good amount of voltage. If i were you, id hit up Matt at Mechman Alternators. His email is [email protected] . He has a great reputation on here and i ran his alts in both my vehicles and i only had one fail but that was damaged in shipping so i cant blame Matt or any of the guys for that. Matt has a great knowledge of electrical systems for cars and trucks alike and he should be able to take good care of you with getting a better alt because that 90 amp alt isnt going to handle your demand with 2kw of power. You could add multiple batteries but that will stress out your alt too much because it cant keep up with the current demand and charge your batteries back up to their voltage of around 14.4v.

For your battery, im not trying to say what you have is totally crap but wet cell batteries are not all that hot for car audio. They dont pack as much of a punch per say as an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery like xs power or even optima. If you get multiple batteries for your car it will allow you to use the system but you will have to slap that car on a charger numerous times throughout the day because you will drain your batteries fast and by draining them and letting the voltage get down low will also greatly decrease your battery life. If i were you, id say get a hold of Matt at Mechman Alternators and get a quote from him for a high output alt. Id see if he can get you something around 200-250 amps because that will do a pretty good job for you with a 2kw system. Then invest some money into a better battery(s) I always recommend to go like what i did with an xs power s3400 in the front (not sure if that will fit in your stock battery tray because i never owned anything but GM vehicles) but ask Matt which battery would be the largest to fit in your battery tray and go from there. From what i have seen running dual batteries (one up front in the engine and the other in the back by your amps) will help you out a ton with keeping your power under control. Capacitors do help but they charge and discharge so fast that i never really recommend to use one of them for systems unless you have a damn good alt to keep up with the constant stress of multiple charges/discharges that the capacitors will do to your car.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

You shouldn't be that bad off. I ran a AQ1200d at 1 ohm on my stock electrical wich consists of an 8 0 amp alt and a crappy Interstate battery and I had no problems at all. The lights dimmed a little bit when I had the volume cranked but I've done the big 3 and its better now. For 2000 watts just get 1-2 good AGM deep cycle batteries (ie: XS power, Optima Yellowtop) and you'll be good. I really don't think you need a new alt.

Edited by canderton01

2002 Camry XLE

35% tints all around

17'' Enkei FD-05 rims

Fi Q15 in 3.8cu ft box tuned to 32Hz

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD

AudioQue AQ1200d

4 Gauge Tsunami wiring/RCA's

mids/highs - OEM JBL system

AudioTechnix Deadner

Big 3 upgrade

My YouTube

You shouldn't be that bad off. I ran a AQ1200d at 1 ohm on my stock electrical wich consists of an 8 0 amp alt and a crappy Interstate battery and I had no problems at all. The lights dimmed a little bit when I had the volume cranked but I've done the big 3 and its better now. For 2000 watts just get 1-2 good AGM deep cycle batteries (ie: XS power, Optima Yellowtop) and you'll be good. I really don't think you need a new alt.

Just to add, i dont mean to say that you NEED to get the alt. I did have a bigger alt than you have for my first system so i could handle more demand but i still had a single battery from xs power and it did a good job so do like canderton said and get 1 or 2 good batteries and see how that goes for you and then go from there. Gotta start somewhere right?