Question with alternator wiring

Hey, i drive a 2007 Crownvic police package, ive got the stock 200A alt atm, and i was doing the big 3. Ive got a few questions

I redid the ground on the negative battery terminal with 4 gauge to bare metal on the frame, but i left the stock ground in place, so essentialy there 2 grounds. Is it ok for there to be multiple grounds?

Secondly, My alternator is currently wired with stock 8 gauge wire, Could i run 2 sets of wire one being the stock 8 guage and the second being the 4 gauge that i have from the alternator to the battery. Are there any drawbacks to having 2 sets of wires, if anything wouldnt there be less resistance?

Lastly Should i be seeing a higher voltage reading with the big 3 or should i be seeing less voltage drop or both?. thanks!

Walled Police Interceptor

Four 15s

160s

Is it ok for there to be multiple grounds? Yes

Could i run 2 sets of wire one being the stock 8 guage and the second being the 4 gauge that i have from the alternator to the battery. Yes

Are there any drawbacks to having 2 sets of wires, if anything wouldnt there be less resistance? There should would be less resistance. I would just do a single run of 1/0 AWG for simplicity

Lastly Should i be seeing a higher voltage reading with the big 3 or should i be seeing less voltage drop or both? The alternator wont output a higher voltage. The voltage regulator changes that. Your battery is able to get more power from your alt with more wire though so there probably will be less drop (depends on alt size and current draw)

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Is it ok for there to be multiple grounds? Yes

Could i run 2 sets of wire one being the stock 8 guage and the second being the 4 gauge that i have from the alternator to the battery. Yes

Are there any drawbacks to having 2 sets of wires, if anything wouldnt there be less resistance? There should would be less resistance. I would just do a single run of 1/0 AWG for simplicity

Lastly Should i be seeing a higher voltage reading with the big 3 or should i be seeing less voltage drop or both? The alternator wont output a higher voltage. The voltage regulator changes that. Your battery is able to get more power from your alt with more wire though so there probably will be less drop (depends on alt size and current draw)

I appreciate the quick response, Im temporarily stuck with only 4 guage but ill throw it on now temporarily until i can get some 0 gauge.

Thanks for the info!!!

Walled Police Interceptor

Four 15s

160s

no problem...good luck :clapping:

2 runs of 4awg can usually transfer the same amount of current as a single run of 0 gauge...Im just throwing it out there because you said you were "stuck."

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Archived