Okay, so I got my instant netflix playing through my xbox. Well, my connection isn't the best, so every couple of minutes, the movie is paused and it does the whole "your connection speed has changed, finding playback quality" bullshit. It will go from best to worst back to best again, which is quite annoying during a 2 hour movie. Is there anyway i can set the video to play at a lower quality on the random days my connection wants to be jumpy like this, so that my movie isn't paused every few minutes, or is this something I just have to live with?

mivtCK.png

It depends if you have cable or DSL. You can try quality of service features within router/modem to the IP of the 360 to have high priority above everything else going in and out your home network. Limit everyone elses internet usage when your watching movies. What speed tier do you have if its a basic connection your house an easily saturate your DL and UL when more than one user is online so kind of a rule to look at is take your tier and divide it by how many computers are online thats a ballpark of what each computer is getting if not hogging bandwidth.So you can call your ISP to ugrade your speed and see if it helps.DSL is more prone to distance from a CO so your line quality as well as everyone else in the community bogging things down can limit your quality of service.

Go to www.speedtest.net and see if your getting what you pay for, if your wireless to router /modem make sure your have wep or wpa wireless security enable so neighbors cant piggy back off your connection and take up bandwidth. If the 360 is wireless to router/modem reposition it or try wired directly to router/modem if its to far and you are using wireless G connection understand that for every 1ft wall you see the wireless signal can see a 3ft wall and that can lead to problems. The newer black 350 external wireless adapter and I think the newer black 360 are capable to communicate with a wirelsss N router to get better distance coverage and speed but they both have to be wireless N. with a cable connection thats easy just set up wirelsss N to ISP's modem and go from there if you have DSL you have to make the modem/gateway just a plain modem so when you hook a router into it the router is what does all the NAT handling if not you will get double NAT issues.

Theirs a bit more you can do on your end but even then the chain is only as strong as its weakest link and it can be something on your ISP side sucking.

We had cable but when we moved my wife misunderstood the operator and we ended up with a huge bill so we switched to DSL and unfortunately for us we are to far from a CO so we can only have regular speed tier and it sucks we are used to my 360 streaming HD or playing online wife on youtube my daughter on another pc on youtube and the boys all barneyed out on netflix on the wii lol. The connection we have dies instantly lol

Edited by crunkjuice1

VbjgkeI.jpg

c7HmdKx.jpg

Are you using a wireless router or is the console hardlinked in? I know netflix requires a 1.5mg download per second to stream high quality with no buffering. Do a quick internet speed test to see what you're averaging download/upload.

When I fled netflix, I work for a local telecommunications company which sells wireless, residential phone and dsl internet, and I was told no. The movie will automatically download high quality. Download and then pause. Go take a piss, POP some corn, and then watch the movie.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

but if he has DSL there can have bad SNR on the line as well as distance from his local CO and his modem can be losing sync as well as not having enough bandwidth. Even with 1.5 DL at those speed tiers will have crappy UL speeds that as soon as tat 1.5 is used up the UL will struggle and you will lose packets. Their was a time DL meant everything but now a days UL is what needs to be addressed by most ISP's and their lame asymmetrical speed packages especially for online services like netflx.

In the world of internet picture your home having an off ramp to and from the internet the bigger the road the more traffic can pass but overdo either your upload or download and it wont matter how many megs down or up you have your line will crawl.

I have helped tons of friends online with there connection issues and they are all the same why am I lagging I have so and so's service and so many megs down and they fail to see how important the upload is.

Edited by crunkjuice1

VbjgkeI.jpg

c7HmdKx.jpg

Well, our company takes distance from the CO when factoring in what DSL speeds are available. If a customer is say...18,000 feet away from the closest CO, we won't offer anything above a 320kb. Alaska unfortunately isn't the best when it comes to internet speed and I miss my fios when I lived in Arizona.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hehe um look in sig for real internets :):peepwall: but real i would suggest just pausing it. i guess you could try setting the display for you 360 on a lower res just while you play movies and see if it will also trick the download thinking it doesn't need to play in i high res. just a thought

look at my super internets it beast!

http://speedtest.net/result/906958776.png