Sonic Electronix

Need Info For My First Wall

OK heres the question. Im about to start build my first wall. do i really need to be worried about the resonance frequency of my explorer since its goin to be mostly a daily/ bass race truck. if so do i need to find the new frequency in front of the wall sinc id fugure it should change some, and is so how would i go about doing that since i dont have any measurement divices. any info, link, anything to help me out is welcomed

A New Begining Starting Over

2003 F-150 extended Cab

Head unit: Pioneer 880

Speakers: JBL 6.5 comps and 8's in doors

Amp: JBL 100x4 & JBL GTO700.1

Sub Amp: ?

Subs: Possible 4 SX 15's or 2 SX 18's

Box:18-20 sq ft @ 30

Batts: Still Need

alt: mechman still to order

Wire: Lots of 1/0

Without some sort of SPL meter its tough to find the resonant frequency of your car...plus, the RF depends on the amount of airspace in the car, and with a huge wall that airspace will be greatly reduced, raising the resonant frequency. The RF will probably be too high to tune to for a daily driver. What I would do in your case is to build it with the possibility of swappable ports, and have one tuned fairly low. Use this to find your peak SPL frequency. Then just put in a port that tunes to that frequency and boom, SPL. LMK if you have any more questions.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

well im not going to be doing any burping with it just bass race if i can find any near my area, low and loud is what im going for. also the specs for the Mj 18s that im probly going to use call for tuning to 30 so im designing the wall to be about 18 cubes with 300Sq in of port.

A New Begining Starting Over

2003 F-150 extended Cab

Head unit: Pioneer 880

Speakers: JBL 6.5 comps and 8's in doors

Amp: JBL 100x4 & JBL GTO700.1

Sub Amp: ?

Subs: Possible 4 SX 15's or 2 SX 18's

Box:18-20 sq ft @ 30

Batts: Still Need

alt: mechman still to order

Wire: Lots of 1/0

• 2 weeks later...

i wouldnt worry about the RF if ur not gonna be burping.

another question along these lines though, to find ur RF. i know u need a meter. but say u are doing a wall. how would u go about finding the RF? ive heard that just build the wall and then put the sub in like a one cubic foot box (sealed) in the wall, do some sweeps and find out where u peak and thats ur RF? is that at all correct?

i likes me some audio stuff...

Archived