7.1 Installation setup tips?

Hey guys,

Been a LONG while since I wondered on this site.

Well I have a few installation questions, I've lost some of my audio knowledge when it comes to home setups.

Currently have...

Onkyo TX-SR875 receiver

(2) Kirsch loudspeakers K-702

Klipsch 10" powered sub

(still shopping for 4 surround speakers and center channel)

My questions of the day is..

- what is the lowpass knob used for?

It ranges from 40-120Hz. What should I have this set for? I have (2) high input and (2) high output wire terminals that I am not using.

The sub is connected to the receiver via LFE input.

Also, PHASE, now I have a downfiring sub and I thought the phase was used for when a speaker is facing another direction than the other speakers, you can flip the switch to 0 or 180 degrees depending on direction.

I have the sub setup by the tv and the rear of the box facing the wall and the front o the box facing the couches. Should phase be set to 0 or 180? Btw, the port is in the rear of the box.

Thank you for your time and comments.

BTW, I'm looking at getting klipsch surrounds, but if you have a recommendation on (4) surrounds priced under $500 budget let me know.

06 SCION tC

I just read your post...

1.) For your subwoofer phase switch, is your subwoofer pretty close to the same "in line" as the front and upcoming center channel speaker? Like lets say for example the front channels and center channels will be 5 inches from the wall behind them, is the subwoofer also 5 inches from the wall? If so then you should turn the phase to 0. If you have your subwoofer somewhere way away from the front speakers (front left, front right, center) then you should set the phase setting to 180.

Now to better explain to what the phase switch does. It is used to help make the bass notes reproduce at the same time that the front speakers will be producing the same sound. Lets say for example you have a movie on and a sudden explosion just happened in the movie, well if your subwoofer was out of phase you would notice that your subwoofer will play the sound of the explosion first and then hear the front/center channel speakers play the explosion a little later (this can be the other way around as well). This is basically delay because the bass takes a little bit longer to travel than your front/center speakers do. The easiest thing you can do to try out the phase for the best results is to set up your furniture and everything just as if you are going to sit down and relax and watch a movie or listen to some music. Set the phase to 0 and listen to the music, if you hear some delay in the bass notes from the front speakers playing the same music/tone then you should try to replay the same soundtrack with your phase set to 180. It should fix the delay you may have experienced. Or you can just listen to something with bass and set the phase to 0 and see if its loud and then have a friend or somebody help you switch it to 180 and see if it gets louder. If the sub is in phase it will be louder than if it was out of phase. (sorry for the long explanation)

2.) For your question about the low pass knob, if i understand what you said correctly it was on the subwoofer correct? If so then this will be used just like a car amplifier where lets say for example if you set it to 80Hz, then frequencies 80Hz and below will be played by the subwoofer, whereas frequencies 80Hz and above will be played by the other speakers in your system and NOT the subwoofer itself.

And just a FYI, those speaker terminals on the rear of your subwoofer are pretty much useless. They dont change in one bit with you screwing around with the subwoofers knobs and switches. All these are served for is like an extension cord for your speakers. The way you use them is on the input side of the speaker connection you connect the wire that goes from the output of your receivers speakers to these. Then on the subwoofers output connections is where you would hookup the speaker wires for that designated speaker.

Example... If you took your front left and front right speaker wires from your Onkyo receivers front left and front right outputs and hook them up. Then on the rear of your subwoofer you would hookup your front left and front right speakers corresponding to the way you just hooked up the wires. So lets say that the two connectors on the left side are the input for your front speaker, you would connect your front left speaker on the top two connectors on the right side since that would be the output. Now i dont really recommend using these since they are so useless but its up to you, its your system. I just got sick of my subwoofers that were made for home theaters and hooked up my stetsom 2k6d amp into my bedroom with my kicker cvr's and it sounds perfect.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Certainly gave me many ways to understand what your saying and i do, greatly appreciated!! now time for me to mess with placement vs sound and get everything set just right for my tastes! Thanks!!

Btw, lowpass, if the sub is set to 40hz, it only plays 40 and below? Nothin above?

06 SCION tC

youre welcome bro. And yes for what you said about setting the lowpass to 40Hz means that frequencies 40Hz and lower will be reproduced by the subwoofer. Everything else will be filtered out (somewhat haha)

In my opinion (yet its more for your preference) i like subs to be on low pass at 80-90 Hz because i dont want frequencies from 40Hz - 70Hz to hit my regular speakers since they arent made to reproduce the lows and it sounds like crap.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Hey alpine, just wanted to check in with ya. Did you figure out the phase for your subwoofer just fine?

Yes I believe I figured out the phase, it's sorta hard to tell a difference I think I have the bass too loud cuz it overpowering my other speakers haha. But I think I figured it out.

Btw if I set lowpass to 70hz, it will play 70 and below? Or 70 and above?

06 SCION tC

Low pass. It will play 70 and below.

Here. If you have it set to high pass then just like the name it will play frequencies that are higher than what u set it to. If u used lowpass then it will play frequencies that are lower than what you set it to.

So no matter where you set your subwoofers lowpass at, it will always play frequencies that are lower than that setting and not frequencies that are higher.

Archived