alright need some help (law wise) before tomorrow.

ya i live in sacremento, california so i dont really know i mean they give me a court date for anything just because im still a minor for a couple more months. such as my tint, speeding, etc. i appreciate all the help guys and all i can do i guess is pray for the best. ill let you guys know how it goes, wish me luckdrinks.gif if anyone knows anymore dont be afraid to say anything haha

You should be good, if they didn't arrest you on site than chances are if they charge you it will be a misdemenor since they normally don't hand out notices to appear for felonies (atleast here)

Since you are a minor I assume your parent(s) will be present??

Edited by akrja_07

2001 Chevy Silverado Ext. cab - Kenwood KIV-BT901 - 2x 12" DC Audio level 3 m2D1 in 4.2 cuft. @29Hz. - DC Audio 2.0k - Alpine Type-X components - US Amps USA-4300x - XS Power D4700 - Bosch 145a alternator

You have a few options, but the two main options I see depend on if you plan to actually fight this with a lawyer or if you have decent speaking skills and want to see if you can get around this yourself. If you go the lawyer route, go in there and when the judge calls you up, just say not guilty and follow their instructions from there. For the other option, this will kind of depend on the judge, some will require a guilty/not guilty plea where as others may let you speak with them. If you have to enter a plea, say not guilty and then speak with the prosecutor handling your case and if the judge has you speak to them then you can explain your case.

I would open up with an apology for your actions and explain you weren't thinking at the time when your so called friend asked and will never do it again. If the person you are talking to seems bent on doing something to you instead of letting you off, then ask if it would be possible to either go to some sort of remediation, like rehab or a training course, or some community service hours with the possibility of the record being dropped if you don't get into any more trouble.

Obviously dress nice and be all yes sir/ma'am to them while using proper grammar. Even if they are an ass to you, be nice.

You're going to court...but what exactly for? You weren't arrested...you're not being charged with anything...what is the purpose of the court appearance?

Honesty and respect definitely go a long way, but talking can also get you into big trouble. I wouldn't say a word about the friend selling the pill and deny any implication you even know what happened. I would stick with the story your friend was in pain and begged for one pain killer. You didn't think anything of it, and now you are caught unaware.

And remember, the right to remain silent and plead the 5th is a constitutional right. Use it! Not every cop and state official is out to be your friend.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

You should be good, if they didn't arrest you on site than chances are if they charge you it will be a misdemenor since they normally don't hand out notices to appear for felonies (atleast here)

Since you are a minor I assume your parent(s) will be present??

ya my dad will be going with me

You're going to court...but what exactly for? You weren't arrested...you're not being charged with anything...what is the purpose of the court appearance?

Honesty and respect definitely go a long way, but talking can also get you into big trouble. I wouldn't say a word about the friend selling the pill and deny any implication you even know what happened. I would stick with the story your friend was in pain and begged for one pain killer. You didn't think anything of it, and now you are caught unaware.

And remember, the right to remain silent and plead the 5th is a constitutional right. Use it! Not every cop and state official is out to be your friend.

haha my point exactly, like i said i just got this random letter in the mail. while saying my friend begged for a painkiller, i feel like it'd be kinda close to lying... but your right im going to try to say as little as possible

You have a few options, but the two main options I see depend on if you plan to actually fight this with a lawyer or if you have decent speaking skills and want to see if you can get around this yourself. If you go the lawyer route, go in there and when the judge calls you up, just say not guilty and follow their instructions from there. For the other option, this will kind of depend on the judge, some will require a guilty/not guilty plea where as others may let you speak with them. If you have to enter a plea, say not guilty and then speak with the prosecutor handling your case and if the judge has you speak to them then you can explain your case.

I would open up with an apology for your actions and explain you weren't thinking at the time when your so called friend asked and will never do it again. If the person you are talking to seems bent on doing something to you instead of letting you off, then ask if it would be possible to either go to some sort of remediation, like rehab or a training course, or some community service hours with the possibility of the record being dropped if you don't get into any more trouble.

Obviously dress nice and be all yes sir/ma'am to them while using proper grammar. Even if they are an ass to you, be nice.

the problem there is that its kinda late for a lawyer isnt it? i had a buddy who had weed on him at school...not selling or anything but had to go to court and i guess just met with a police officer and might have faced a fine im not sure. im hoping dressing nice and being respectful will get me far all though im not the sharpest when it comes to talking haha

No, it isn't too late. If you plead not guilty than you will be given a court date for down the road, though if you go that route you should start looking tomorrow morning. The would be able to help you plea bargain. The problem with just accepting it is that you will likely have that on your criminal record forever more and that means all your future employers will see it. At that age it wouldn't be hard to make the charges as an adult instead of as a juvenile which is how that charge would follow you.