Dunno how many people on here are FF's, but I joined two weeks ago, and went on my first call today. There was a brush fire out near a trailer earlier today that neighboring districts were called to & got knocked down, but not enough. About two hours later, another call came out saying the trailer itself was on fire. The responding department's members weren't showing up for some reason (was about 3:30PM), so the next district over was called for mutual aid. That wasn't enough, they needed a tanker, so they dispatched us for a tanker...just as I'm about to get in the shower.

Needless to say, I busted ass down there, got there, and there was one vehicle out front, with two of my friends in the station. Got our gear on and waited, because I'm 18, they are 19 and 15, therefore we didn't have someone to drive the tanker. Waited some more, dropped tones again. Still waited. Cheif called the station and we told him the situation, he said to just run a unit truck up there and help as personnel. About to leave, and two more guys show up, 18 and 17, so still no tanker, but the primary department got someone to run one of their tankers, so they just used us as personnel. I rode shotgun & ran the radio, lighting & siren. Got up there, and the ones over 18 were sent to relieve the four guys on the hoses. The fire was mostly out, just putting out hotspots was left. Took about half an hour to make sure nothing else ignited, all was well, grabbed a bottle of water, and we were released to go back to the station.

So all in all, for my first call, it went okay. I'm only a probationary firefighter, as I just joined two weeks ago, so I have close to no training, just the basics of putting gear on, using an O2 tank, and running the hoses. Chief gave me props for how professional I was on the radio, as he was unable to come because of his family, but he had his pager on him, so I guess that's good. :peepwall: So yeah, figured I'd share that, because I feel proud of myself for not screwing up. :drinks:

POTATO!

I guess they only let the older guys drive the tankers? Sucks in a situation that only the young guys are there. Should talk to your chef and see if you can get trained on. It'll def look good on your part.

Everybody loves fire so even though it wasn't much left when you got to the scene, I bet it was pretty sweet.

I like the oldschool one..

TDHsiggy.png

Current System: Stock 2011 Tahoe

Loud as F**K

Just kidding

Idk how I would feel about being a firefighter. I mean, when you get a call, I'm sure you're excited to do the job you trained for and all, but at the same time, you gotta feel for the people involved, especially in house or vehicle fires.

All the same, congrats on your first call going well. Keep up the good work keeping people safe!

Too many projects, too little time...

I guess they only let the older guys drive the tankers? Sucks in a situation that only the young guys are there. Should talk to your chef and see if you can get trained on. It'll def look good on your part.

Everybody loves fire so even though it wasn't much left when you got to the scene, I bet it was pretty sweet.

With training, 18 to drive the unit trucks (the F350 & the Explorer), 21 to drive the big trucks (Engine 1, Engine 2, & both tankers, but I think the tankers are standard anyways, so I'll pass. <_<

Idk how I would feel about being a firefighter. I mean, when you get a call, I'm sure you're excited to do the job you trained for and all, but at the same time, you gotta feel for the people involved, especially in house or vehicle fires.

All the same, congrats on your first call going well. Keep up the good work keeping people safe!

I was excited, nervous, and worried all at the same time, but I think I did hear someone say the trailer may have been vacant. Can't guarantee that, there was a crispy fridge sitting outside. We tried our best with what limited personnel we had.

Nice work man!

Thanks. The trailer was a loss, but we tried our best.

POTATO!

Nice. I've been a volunteer for almost 10 years and I'll never forget my first fire. It was a grass fire that we put out with our feet. LOL. And as far as screwing up, I drove the tanker to a grass fire the other day and went in the completely wrong direction. :ehh:

Wait. Did you say there was a 15 year old kid? WTF?

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Wait. Did you say there was a 15 year old kid? WTF?

A lot of departments have explorer programs that introduce high school kids to firefighting. Basically, they are the "go-fers" at a fire. Help carry equipment and such. They don't get to go into a working fire (structure fires anyway), but sometimes get to participate in the salvage and overhaul.