DC Sound Lab

Ported or bandpass??????

Heres a look at a BP for something along the lines that your asking about. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/98814-dc-honda-ridgeline-transformation-updated-310-making-noise/ Not using the 5k yet only the 3.5k. But I can tell u it will take more then the 3.5k

I followed your Ridgeline thread until it was put on hold. You definitely have a lot of skill. When I brought up bandpass, N8 threw you and Dustin's name out there.

What kind of output were you seeing from the single 3.5k? I saw that you said in there that it sounded good. I have yet to have the opportunity to hear a properly built bandpass design with quality subs. From experience, do you think i'd see more output from a good bandpass design than a typical ported box tuned between 28Hz-34Hz?

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

Heres a look at a BP for something along the lines that your asking about. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/98814-dc-honda-ridgeline-transformation-

updated-310-making-noise/ Not using the 5k yet only the 3.5k. But I can tell u it will take more then the 3.5k

From experience, do you think i'd see more output from a good bandpass design than a typical ported box tuned between 28Hz-34Hz?

He don't know what those frequencies sound like. He likes his sub sonic at 40

Lol

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

Lol then you are NO help to me Jeff. :peepwall:

40Hz IS good for most mainstream rap though. lol

Edited by Cashdollar2009

Dustins has no clue. Im tuned to around 37hz, in my truck. And it still plays down to around 28-30. I choose to use a sub sonic filter to protect my subs from the large amount of power seen from playing below box tuning. Something Dustin does not have. Regardless a properly tunes ported box or bandpass will be fine. Just depends on your space and what you listen to and trying to do. Most bandpass boxes I see in the FL area all seem to tune around 45hz range. Which seems to be designed to play low and most of the chopped crap people call music. But fall flat on there face above 50hz. The ridgeline bandpass is tuned to 54hz. Which is a nice middle point for what I want and plays well from 30-60hz

I'll tell you one thing, you definitely don't have enough room for a proper ported box for 2 15" XLs, at least not tuned that low. I think the idea of a 4th order bandpass would be cool, but what about a 6th order? You'd be able to get a nice flat response from it and get down low like you want.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Dustins has no clue. Im tuned to around 37hz, in my truck. And it still plays down to around 28-30. I choose to use a sub sonic filter to protect my subs from the large amount of power seen from playing below box tuning. Something Dustin does not have. Regardless a properly tunes ported box or bandpass will be fine. Just depends on your space and what you listen to and trying to do. Most bandpass boxes I see in the FL area all seem to tune around 45hz range. Which seems to be designed to play low and most of the chopped crap people call music. But fall flat on there face above 50hz. The ridgeline bandpass is tuned to 54hz. Which is a nice middle point for what I want and plays well from 30-60hz

I suppose I can understand the trade-off between playing low, and playing the mid to high range of frequencies. I enjoy touching 30Hz and still being able to get that bit of a punch in the double bass of my rock music. I listen to 90% hip-hop/rap and enjoy songs that may dip to 30hz, and would also like to nail those lows. It's starting to look like a compromise i'm gonna have to make.

And I figured he was just poking fun at you. lol I appreciate the helpful insight sir.

I'll tell you one thing, you definitely don't have enough room for a proper ported box for 2 15" XLs, at least not tuned that low. I think the idea of a 4th order bandpass would be cool, but what about a 6th order? You'd be able to get a nice flat response from it and get down low like you want.

I have ran my 15" XL in 3ft^3 for a year now with no issues. At 3.25ft^3 I was seeing some unloading issues around 30Hz. At 3ft^3 I seem to be reaching xmax but with no unloading issues. My XL has taken my Crescendo great in this power. When I run number on the Torres calculator, I am coming up with 6.15ft^3 after bracing displacement. This would be with the subs inverted to add to box volume. I would also be able to mount the subs normal to gain some extra port area and test how it does on the meter compared to inverted. With each sub in 3ft^3 a piece, I thought they would be just fine?

And 6th order... Is that the design Sanitarium implemented in his blow-through?

I have ran my 15" XL in 3ft^3 for a year now with no issues. At 3.25ft^3 I was seeing some unloading issues around 30Hz. At 3ft^3 I seem to be reaching xmax but with no unloading issues. My XL has taken my Crescendo great in this power. When I run number on the Torres calculator, I am coming up with 6.15ft^3 after bracing displacement. This would be with the subs inverted to add to box volume. I would also be able to mount the subs normal to gain some extra port area and test how it does on the meter compared to inverted. With each sub in 3ft^3 a piece, I thought they would be just fine?

As far as the space goes for the 15s, I'm saying that you won't have enough room to be able to give them enough port area to make them happy and tune that low. I owned a 2000 Grand Am and I know there just isn't quite enough room.

As far as you experiencing unloading issues, was that when you played under your tuning or not? Just interested cuz I'm working on my 2 XL 15 box and can't decide how much box volume to give them, I'm stuck between 6 and 6.5 cubes.

And, Yes, Sanitarium has a 6th order and so does Lunchbox.inc, and I'm sure they could give you some tips on how to set one up properly. They are just a little tricky to work with.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

As far as the space goes for the 15s, I'm saying that you won't have enough room to be able to give them enough port area to make them happy and tune that low. I owned a 2000 Grand Am and I know there just isn't quite enough room.

As far as you experiencing unloading issues, was that when you played under your tuning or not? Just interested cuz I'm working on my 2 XL 15 box and can't decide how much box volume to give them, I'm stuck between 6 and 6.5 cubes.

And, Yes, Sanitarium has a 6th order and so does Lunchbox.inc, and I'm sure they could give you some tips on how to set one up properly. They are just a little tricky to work with.

Port area would honestly be my biggest issue right now. But I am planning on building in the trunk so I would be squeezing every bit of volume I could.

And as far as unloading goes, I was at 3.25ft^3 tuned to 32Hz with 18in^2 per ft^2. I was starting to unload at 30Hz. Then again, I was running around 3k off of my Crescendo before any impedance rise. When I rebuilt, I went to 3ft^3 tuned to 32Hz with 17in^2 of port area. I could play down to about 28Hz before I really had to worry about unloading at full tilt. The XL's can take a lot of power as long as it's clean. If they see any clipping on 2X their rms rating, you'll be frying tinsels in no time. The biggest issue that I have seen personally was when I first got my sub a year ago. Once those coils see clipping they heat up and burn through the thread stitching them to the spider. After that, they just slap the **** out of the cone until they finally snap, clean power or not at that point. Since then i've reconed and lost quite a bit of my ignorance. If I were you, if you are planning on running more than 3-3.5k to them (pair not individually), I'd stick with 6ft^3. This will give you great cone control lower in the frequency band so that unloading shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't have stupid-dumb big port area. lol

And I appreciate the idea on the 6th order. I'll do me some research as far as that goes. :good: