Sonic Electronix

can't afford subs yet, but for the time being i just want some clean sound. Should i go with speaker baffles for the 6.5's and 6x9's? It's cheaper and easier to install, but is there that much of a difference in SQ?

Pioneer 6300ub

Rockford Prime 6.5's

Pioneer 6x9's

Alpine MRP-M500

10" Alpine Type R

1.4 Cubic Foot Enclosure Tuned to 34 hz

Stinger 4 Gauge Wires

Speaker baffles, are you talking about the foam cups that you install around/behind your speakers? If so, you would be better off installing some sort of sound deadening like Dynamat, Second Skin, eDead, etc.

I've NEVER had any luck with the foam baffles providing any sort of clarity or improvement in SQ. Years ago I had them installed in my front doors with my 6.5s thinking that they were going to help improve the sound quality (this was before I knew anything about mobile audio). All they did was protect them from some dirt and moisture, that was it.

Short run or long run you will get better SQ from sound deadening material then you would with the foam baffles.

Once you start adding more and better components the sound deadening will help you out even more.

Later,

Edited by Second Skin Rep Jon

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

Speaker baffles, are you talking about the foam cups that you install around/behind your speakers? If so, you would be better off installing some sort of sound deadening like Dynamat, Second Skin, eDead, etc.

I've NEVER had any luck with the foam baffles providing any sort of clarify or improvement in SQ. Years ago I had them installed in my front doors with my 6.5s thinking that they were going to help improve the sound quality (this was before I knew anything about mobile audio). All they did was protect them from some dirt and moisture, that was it.

Short run or long run you will get better SQ from sound deadening material then you would with the foam baffles.

Once you start adding more and better components the sound deadening will help you out even more.

Later,

Words of wisdom from the professional :D

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

Words of wisdom from the professional :D

Thanks.

I'm sure most of us have used them in the past, or at least I like to think I'm not the only one. LOL

I know when I first got into the 12V stuff and was shopping Crutchfield (didn't know any better), they were and still are pushing those damn foam cups on everyone.

Oh and jreese92, if you are looking for a quick SQ improvement, take a gander at some deflex pads. Second Skin, CAE, Dynamat, they all have their own version of them. Square or round. Price around $20-$30 for a pair of them, install in a few minutes (by the time you take off your door panel), and again will help later on if/when you upgrade your system.

Later,

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png