Second Skin Audio

How low to go? DC audio...

this port area is perfect for this volume and these subs, but then again, you dont have to take my word for it, i just know every enclosure i have designed thus far has been fairly decent....

I've done 300+ designs for other people, and I have never in my life used 30in^2 of port for a pair of 12" subs. Also, using winISD you get a vent mach of .13 using a 5.5"x5.5" port(assuming same sd and xmax as a normal lvl3). Still in the green according to the program, but just barely. And most of the stuff I do keeps vent mach below .7 or so. If you were to use three 4" aeroports, I'd say you'd be fine because the flares obviously cut down on turbulence at the port openings. But a standard slot port that size is going to have noise issues, plain and simple.

I just did 72sq of port for eight 10s.. :ph34r:

There is nothing wrong with using small ports. Now..I don't agree with makin a small port just to meet tuning desires necessarily, but rather to meet some air compliance and response goals.

Port noise is so easy to avoid, but I've never had the problem.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Port noise is so easy to avoid, but I've never had the problem.

For me, it's only around tuning when the port is working like crazy(having a sub capable of 3" p2p Xmax doesn't help)...and mainly because my box is maybe 3ft away.

Edited by RAM_Designs

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

Ok well, I built a box, and I am so pleased with it, at least for now. I did 4 cubes @ 28 hz. and it sounds AMAZING!! Exactly what I wanted as far as lows go!! It may not be the prettiest but sure sounds good IMO!

I probably jumped the gun on this and could have done a little better but I was SO READY to get those subs out of that pre fab box it was KILLING me! Anyways, I did 4.1 cubes at 28hz, the port opening is 4.5" and there is 47.5 sq.in. of port area (yeah I know, a hair short) but that's the best I could get it with my measurements.

Was going to post 4 or 5 pics but my computer is not picking up my SD... <_<

2001 Chevy Silverado Ext. cab - Kenwood KIV-BT901 - 2x 12" DC Audio level 3 m2D1 in 4.2 cuft. @29Hz. - DC Audio 2.0k - Alpine Type-X components - US Amps USA-4300x - XS Power D4700 - Bosch 145a alternator