Circuit Breaker vs Fuse

Whats up guys. I have a question about this thing http://www.stingerelectronics.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=621&CategoryID=2 . Would this be an alternate option to standard fuse? I did some research and found that this was sort of a self repairing fuse. At least that's what I understood, I could be wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.

If I'm goin to hell, I'm going in a HOLDEN!!!

Speed doesn't kill, Its the stopping suddenly that gets you.

Quoted by the one and only Jeremy Clarkson.

Build: A Secret!

Anyone? No one has any thought's? Me so sad :cray:

If I'm goin to hell, I'm going in a HOLDEN!!!

Speed doesn't kill, Its the stopping suddenly that gets you.

Quoted by the one and only Jeremy Clarkson.

Build: A Secret!

Eh, from what I know, circuit breakers tend to become less effective over time, as they sort of 'wear out' each time they trip. Because they're based on a piece of metal heating up to a certain point, that metal undergoes stress from repeated heating/cooling processes.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

You're right, its does the same thing as a fuse, but instead of replacing the fuse, you just reset the breaker...higher initial cost, but saves in the long run. I've used then before, and as long as u understand the purpose of them, they save you money...if it trips, it for a reason. Don't just reset it and keep bumpin...trace your wire and find out why it tripped before you reset it.

mivtCK.png

Eh, from what I know, circuit breakers tend to become less effective over time, as they sort of 'wear out' each time they trip. Because they're based on a piece of metal heating up to a certain point, that metal undergoes stress from repeated heating/cooling processes.

True, but in the long run, you still save money...unless you just reset it and keep bumpin...that's when you tend to see magic smoke!

mivtCK.png

True, but in the long run, you still save money...unless you just reset it and keep bumpin...that's when you tend to see magic smoke!

This is true...and they have been used in houses for ages without much issue. I just like knowing that fuses are restored to 100% effectiveness after replacement, whereas a circuit breaker may only be high 90s, but I am a stickler for details. And magic smoke = :ehh:

My feedback thread

This is true...and they have been used in houses for ages without much issue. I just like knowing that fuses are restored to 100% effectiveness after replacement, whereas a circuit breaker may only be high 90s, but I am a stickler for details. And magic smoke = :ehh:

Well, I never used mine on any run of wire that you couldn't see the entire thing. Only on short runs such as alternator to front battery, or rear battery to amp. A short wire that would rarely have any reason to short, and if it did I could quickly find the reason. But as far as wires like from front battery to rear battery, I always used fuses. Too many things for the wire to rub against, and too many things to go wrong...i'd be tempted to just flip the breaker and go back to full tilt...and I don't want magic smoke.

mivtCK.png

Well, I never used mine on any run of wire that you couldn't see the entire thing. Only on short runs such as alternator to front battery, or rear battery to amp. A short wire that would rarely have any reason to short, and if it did I could quickly find the reason. But as far as wires like from front battery to rear battery, I always used fuses. Too many things for the wire to rub against, and too many things to go wrong...i'd be tempted to just flip the breaker and go back to full tilt...and I don't want magic smoke.

You have a good point. I'll probably look into that actually. A good 300A for those short 1/0 runs up front...

My feedback thread

OMFG...WTF Dude...I just got on a computer and actually looked at the link...$75.oo plus shipping for one freaking circuit? Wow, did not realize how much you get overcharged when ordering direct from the dealer these days. Go look at the circuit breaker at DARVEX.COM. I'm talking about a stinger 200amp circuit breaker, the same one in your link, for only $33.oo plus shipping.

mivtCK.png

Use fuses. They are cheaper and more importantly, safer. When one pops you put a brand new one in and it's back to being perfect again, whereas breakers are more expensive and degrade over time. And think about it, you can get an ANL fuseblock, and like 10 fuses for the price of one circut breaker if you know where to look.

But let's face it, if you pop a fuse and it's not because your amp just went to shit, then you're doing something wrong.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want