Sonic Electronix

duplicolor undercoating as sound deadner

has anyone ever used this stuff? ive used it a few times and im wondering if it could be used as a sound deadener. if layed down thick enough. im trying to find cheaper light wieght alternatives to roll on deadener

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

has anyone ever used this stuff? ive used it a few times and im wondering if it could be used as a sound deadener. if layed down thick enough. im trying to find cheaper light wieght alternatives to roll on deadener

Currently using it in my build...just put on one layer yesterday. Go to my "re"build log below...haven't put it up yet on the build log, but it will be tomorrow. You can see the pics of it on my facebook @ www.facebook.com/bakermaninc

Anyways, yeah, its just as good, when enough layers are applied. I like it better simply b/c its ALOT easier to work with!

mivtCK.png

Ive got it on my wire straps and i dont think it would be good enough for a sound deadener.might cover up a little road noise but nothing substantial

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I agree with nate. I sprayed it on the entire floor of my 67' and it did help with a lot of road noise but i dunno about using it alone as a deadner.

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

The problem with Duplicolor's undercoating is that it's not an elastomeric polymer, it's a asphalt/bitumen/rubber mix. When dry it's too stiff to absorb and control vibrations. Basically it's just adding mass to the panel.

It is also asphalt based, not the best product to use for sound deadening.

It will work, just not the best option out there.

Later,

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

what would be another alternative to that thats around the same price?

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

what would be another alternative to that thats around the same price?

How much is it? I think around here it's like $6-$8 for an aerosol can.

A few products that I would suggest looking at.

Second Skin Spectrum

Cascade Audio VB-1X

LizardSkin

All of these are sprayable and lightweight (once dried a gallon of most of this stuff is around 10 pounds).

I think price is going to be a bit more with any of the above options, but it will work better and weigh less than Duplicolor's undercoating.

Later,

usa_render4.png

how much of Second Skin Spectrum would it take to do a noticable differnce even if duplicolor would just reduce road noise thats kinda all im after just slight sound deadening from outside stuff and a slight increase sq.

how much of Second Skin Spectrum would it take to do a noticable differnce even if duplicolor would just reduce road noise thats kinda all im after just slight sound deadening from outside stuff and a slight increase sq.

Where are you planning on applying it? To the underside of the vehicle or interior (trunk, floor, etc.)?

And what is your overall goal? To improve SQ or to lower the overall interior noise level of the vehicle?

A gallon will cover a solid 20-30 sq. ft. of area at the appropriate thickness (2mm.) and is sufficient enough to cover:

1. Most trunks (excluding Town Cars and other large sedans).

or

2. Most floors.

or

3. Several doors.

So to answer your question, a gallon would give you enough to do most any area of your choosing AND for you to see (rather hear) a reduction in overall noise and improvement in SQ.

Later,

usa_render4.png