Second Skin Audio

subs bottoming out

ok so i have 2 15" american bass xfls running off of 1 audioque 2200d

the settings on the amp are lpf half way up which is around 100hz subsonic 0 bass boost 0 and gain is almost 3/4 up

anyways my subs sound like they are bottoming out or just being clipped severly and i dont understand why

but when i turn down the lpf or gain it goes away

ive been talking to mike singer because he designed the box and has helped me alot with the build and hes thinking it could be the aero port lenght in my box

i have 4 4inch aero ports in a 6.5 cu ft box and they are 15 inches long each

so would shortening them help to stop the bottoming out? or what else could it be???

97 exploder xlt2 18" obsidian audio daul 2 v2s1 sundown audio saz1500d at .5 ohm2 sets of alpine type r components1 MB quart onyx 125.4alpine cda-98871 mike singer 250 amp altxs d3400 in the backall kicker wiringBIG 3singer resonance killer sound deadner throughout

alright, not the best at this stuff but the only thing i can think of is, since its ported you need to set your subsonic to the port tuning. when you have your subsonic lower than what your port tuning is your sub will bottom out cause it cant produce lower than your port tuning frequency. so to fix this, talk to your box designer and find out what your port tuning is and set your sub sonic to the port tuning. thats the only thing i can think of. your lpf is fine and leave the bass boost alone. then tune your gain last

1995 Ram 1500 SLT

Fi BL 12

2.5 cube tuned to 32 hz

Hifonics BRZ 1200.1

Alpine cda-105

0 gauge wiring

kicker 5 1/4 all around

ok so i have 2 15" american bass xfls running off of 1 audioque 2200d

the settings on the amp are lpf half way up which is around 100hz subsonic 0 bass boost 0 and gain is almost 3/4 up

anyways my subs sound like they are bottoming out or just being clipped severly and i dont understand why

but when i turn down the lpf or gain it goes away

ive been talking to mike singer because he designed the box and has helped me alot with the build and hes thinking it could be the aero port lenght in my box

i have 4 4inch aero ports in a 6.5 cu ft box and they are 15 inches long each

so would shortening them help to stop the bottoming out? or what else could it be???

That would just raise the tuning.

put your ssf 5hz below box tuning, check your gain to see if it is right, 3/4ths seems like a lot to ME(mine is usually at 1/3).

Edited by ChevyBoy95

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

I agree the ssf should be set slightly higher than the tuning freq. Was the gain set with a dmm? It seems like you may actually just be clipping the amp.

How does your electrical look?

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

I agree the ssf should be set slightly higher than the tuning freq.

ya mean lower? ;)

the box works out to be tuned to about 35Hz.

does it only make the noise on certain songs and frequencies?

pretty sure he ment that lol , anyways, i could give a couple of recomendations but damn, singer´s know his shit haha, so i say follow any step and input he gives you :shrug:

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

I agree the ssf should be set slightly higher than the tuning freq.

ya mean lower? ;)

the box works out to be tuned to about 35Hz.

does it only make the noise on certain songs and frequencies?

Yea I meant lower sry

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

set your subsonic filter. and if it sounds like theyre clipping, look at the bass knob (that i hope is attached to the amp) and see if that little red clipping light is blinking. if it is, turn the knob down til it stops