Second Skin Audio

I need to apply sound deadener to the trunk. I made the mistake a couple years ago by applying peel n seal (yeah, yeah, stupid move), so I get to try to remove that first.

Anyways, my question. I have a DC lvl4 12, going into a ported enclosure, in the trunk of a 2000 Lincoln LS. I can buy either a bulk pack of damplifier or the pro. Would regular damplifier be enough? Or should I just spring for the Pro, since it is in my budget too? I probably need to pick up a couple sheets of overkill too. Also, if anyone has any tips for removing peel n seal lol.

just buy the pro and place it on top of the peel and seal.. i don't see how that would hurt anything..its the same as having multiple layers of the stuff

i wouldn't place the SS on top the peel and seal... The peel and seal will eventually come off and then you wont be able to remove the SS and will just end up wasting it.. Do it the right way and remove that tary ass peel and seal.. It is a pain in the ass i know i did the same thing., the SS helps tremendously,

Fi BTL 15 N2 D2

-4.5 net..30Hz/Birch and Braced

-AQ 2200D running at 4-ohms for meantime...

-Big 3 KNU 1/0

-XS 1200

-Sundown 100.4 SAX

-Front Stage: CDT CL-61

-Rear: Alpine Type-SA

-HeadUnit-Pioneer AVHDVD-3200

-2004 Saturn Ion

Best score to Date is a 143.1 at the kick with 2 RF HX2 10's in a PWK box!

BUILD LOG---15 BTL...Shit is loud Son!!

You TUBE---RIGHT HERE

just buy the pro and place it on top of the peel and seal.. i don't see how that would hurt anything..its the same as having multiple layers of the stuff

i wouldn't place the SS on top the peel and seal... The peel and seal will eventually come off and then you wont be able to remove the SS and will just end up wasting it.. Do it the right way and remove that tary ass peel and seal.. It is a pain in the ass i know i did the same thing., the SS helps tremendously,

That was my worry.

Yeah do NOT place Damplifier over any previously installed mat product, especially P&S.

This is a simplistic way of thinking of it, but the P&S is already deadening the panel. By placing the Damplifier over the P&S, all you are really doing is deadening the P&S, not the panel. It's more scientific than this, but you get the point.

Best way to remove it is with some heat and patience. Get a heatgun or cheap ass hair drier, heat it up a bit and use a putty knife, plastic scraper, or your hands and start peeling it off. If it's already starting to peel, it should go fairly fast.

Once it's removed you'll probably have a icky mess of brown residue. Hit that with some acetone, mineral spirits, alcohol and get that off.

We see this all the time and in the long run nobody saves time or money installing P&S.

Good luck and I expect pictures! :)

Later,

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

Yeah do NOT place Damplifier over any previously installed mat product, especially P&S.

This is a simplistic way of thinking of it, but the P&S is already deadening the panel. By placing the Damplifier over the P&S, all you are really doing is deadening the P&S, not the panel. It's more scientific than this, but you get the point.

Best way to remove it is with some heat and patience. Get a heatgun or cheap ass hair drier, heat it up a bit and use a putty knife, plastic scraper, or your hands and start peeling it off. If it's already starting to peel, it should go fairly fast.

Once it's removed you'll probably have a icky mess of brown residue. Hit that with some acetone, mineral spirits, alcohol and get that off.

We see this all the time and in the long run nobody saves time or money installing P&S.

Good luck and I expect pictures! :)

Later,

Thanks for the response! I know it's probably going to be a pain to remove the P&S, but anything worth doing, is worth doing right. Thanks for the excellent tips on how to remove that junk.

I've read that putting something like overkill between the lid and trunk arms could help as well. Don't know if that is necessary though.

Thanks for the response! I know it's probably going to be a pain to remove the P&S, but anything worth doing, is worth doing right. Thanks for the excellent tips on how to remove that junk.

I've read that putting something like overkill between the lid and trunk arms could help as well. Don't know if that is necessary though.

I've heard of people doing this too, but never done it myself.

If the bolts that are holding the lid to the arms are loose (as they can with excessive vibrations/bass), just tighten them up. Adding some OverKill as a gasket between the two pieces isn't necessary.

Later,

usa_render4.png

Tip for getting it off the trunk lid. Take the entire trunk off and remove all of the items on it such as bolts and plastic pieces. Place a big old blanket or couple of beach towels on a grassy area and lay the trunk lid upside down on this and now you have a better work area to kneel down on or lay on and start to go to work. I used my heat gun from Harbor freight, a razor blade, and a scraper and my hands. Bare hands work better then gloves but you will get burned and cut in the process. I found that there is a "perfect" temp that it will actually just start pealing up but it's hard to explain. Start with the heat gun on a 1x1 area or so and warm it for maybe 10-15 seconds and see if you can start pulling a corner up. If not go at it at 10-15 second intervals. Too cold it won't really come up. Too hot it's just like working with hot liquid tar and that isn't fun. But just right it will peel up kind of easily. Took me about 3 hours to get 3 layers of fatmat off of my trunk lid.

Still haven't managed to get the residue off. But it isn't that sticky. Just the look is there

82bcfa5e.jpg

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Robert... ugh I feel your pain! No one should have to ever deal with that mess.

That picture alone is why P&S/asphalt mat should never be used. Not just because it's inferior to a butyl mat, but because of the mess and headache it can cause.

Have you tried turpentine to remove the residue? I know the cheaper mats dissolve in the stuff. Might give that a try.

Later,

usa_render4.png

Hasn't tried much yet to remove it. I actually don't plan to redeaden the trunk since now my setup seals forward sealed off. There is actually a OEM carpet cover for the trunk lid but I need to get the residue off the edges. Will try some of the products you mentioned and see how it goes.

And also op. Careful with heat as well due to the thiness of the aluminum on P&S the heat will actually melt right through the aluminum causing more issues not having a solid surface to grab

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff