Second Skin Audio

How popular are 18" woofers?

Hey guys. I work for the biggest car audio shop in Northern Arizona. We Are thinking of ideas for something else to bring in for sale. So i brought up the idea of 18" woofers. Im just wondering if there is a big market for them and how you guys feel about the (BIG BASS) market. Thanks for any feedback. I have to present these ideas to my boss to get things going.

Well, I like 18's for sheer air movement... But some people say 15's are more practical because they require less cubes to run properly... My suggestion would be for you guys to build a demo vehicle with a couple 18's before you try to turn it loose on your customers... There is nothing worse than an unhappy customer! If you build it in one of your rides and it flops, no big deal... just my opinion...

I find that there very popular but not in sales. Every body wants one but lacks the space or money required. Sure a 400 18 sounds great until you price the amp. Box. Wire required.

Don't get me wrong I have a pair of 18s in my dd truck and love them. There great to have on hand or available but I wouldn't let sales depend on them. All IMHO

Thanks for the comments im open to plenty more as well. We arent really looking for a big money maker. We are looking for something different in our market to get people excited. I realize 18s wont be flying out the door but i have stepped out of my bubble and have seen how passionate alot of you guys are about ground pounding 18s. Lol. Im an installer and not a salesman, but im tryin to come up with some legit backing for my idea so i can present it to my boss.

honestly, i think the only people that really know about 18s and would want them are us, hardcore guys. not many regular customers would want the 18s and all that goes with it. people by me always say they want this or that. but when i tell them itll cost upwards of 5 grand. they then say, ok ill just stick with 2 cheap 12s. there is a market for 18s but not for people that need other people to install them.but thats just the way i look at it.

2000 tahoe

orion hcca 15.4

kicker zx2500

2 JL 300/4s

infinity and kicker mids/highs

KHC1400 in back, stock upfront

dont ask about my HU

clarion EQ

kicker/fosgate rcas

I just wouldn't expect them to sell as much as your other woofers. I dot know how to explan it really. Not many people have the room for 18s because even a 1 18 box is probably gonna take up most of your cargo space. I like my 2 18s but you're not gonna find many people daily driving with them as opposed to 12s and 15s

312tzpu.png

My 02 Accord Wall Build

2 Sundown Audio Nightshade V1 18s --- 1 SAZ 3500

Sundown Audio 100.4 --- 4 Sundown Audio Neo-Pro 8s

Sundown Audio 125.2 --- 2 Morel MD-12 Tweeters , 2 Selenium ST-200 Tweeters

DC Power 270xp --- 4 XS Power D1200s | 1 D5100R

yea all the statements are true... if you go around to the other audio shops, what do you see... 10's, 12's, and few 15's.... but where are the 18's...........they're sitting at the warehouse. Ive been to many shops around houston, and not a single shop stocks the 18's.. there's not a market for them from your everyday customers... so don't stock them.. only sell them if someone has the money to build a system for 1 or 2 18's...