Help needed from the SQ guru's

Hi guys I hope you guys don't mind answering a few noob questions regarding SQ, just bare in mind i'm in europe so we more then likely don't get all the brands you guys will get in the US. I'm amazed at how different SP and SQ really are... Like chalk and cheese...

Any how, lemme start with my shopping list, I must warn you though i'm not aiming for chart topping or Comp winning setup and i have had mixed reviews on the hardware aswell but here it goes...:

Hertz HX-300D 12" subwoofer

Hetz HSK163 3-way comps or 165 2-way comps (still deciding)

Hertz HCX 165 Co-Ax for rear fill

I havent decided on a HU yet but i'm looking at a D/Din Navi system, as the system is going in my Daily driver and i'll be on the road a lot, for work, because of this i also can't sacrifice too much boot space so i will have to design the boot install carefully.

I had looked at using an Audison LRx5.1K but from what i've learnt this would not be ideal with my front stage because of the A B rating, can one of you suggest other Audison amps instead?

Also I will need to try and figure out which EQ to get i'm concidering an Audison Bit one or bit Ten which ever is better suited, maybe one of you could make the suggestion.

As I have said I don't want to beak any records but i do want to impress pasengers, i also want to be able to make a few minor adjustments if the need for slightly more deeper tones arise, is this possible or am i asking too much? If it is asking too much we can drop that idea as Clarity is my #1 goal.

Oh just in case any body was wondering or if its important for accurate answers all of this will go into a Hatchback, my preferred listening is mostly anything with bass, but i love a lot of rock too it all depends on my mood but if you really want specifics it'll be RnB, Hip hop, Trip hop, some underground dance/trance, and rock and soft metal, I also like classic rock.

Any help, advice and constructive crit is welcome, thanks in advance.

Edited by 20Vturbo

My current baby: '00 Lexus IS200,

Preparing my sound at the moment...

mods to come...

[sTILL NEED TO SETTLE DOWN BEFORE I BUY MY NEW CAR -

'01 Subary Impreza WRX]

EX: '01 Jetta MKIV 1.9TDI,

63mm decat F/F, BMC Filter,

UNITRONIC remap [sOLD]

bump

can any one help?

please?

mods to come...

'01 Subary Impreza WRX]

UNITRONIC remap [sOLD]

There's nothing wrong with your choice of speakers. A lot of people will be envious of what you listed.

Nothing wrong with using the LRx5.1k too. For SQ, I'd ditch the rears unless you're after a "live" sound, like from a concert where reverb would be needed. If you so choose to keep the rears, run the fronts to the amps chs 3 & 4 and the rears off of the amps chs 1 & 2. It's not a true class A amp on the front two chs, just A biased. You could also ditch the rears, as I would and suggested, and run the fronts actively as I do. Tweets to the class A biased chs and the mids to the class A/B chs.

Oh, yea, I too run the Audison LRx5.1k

One note to mention about the amp, due to it's processing, you'll want to use the amps built-in xover. I can't remember fully, but when the xover is off on the sub ch, it's a bit dull and lifeless, turn it on and it'll knock your socks off.

www.phoenixphorum.com

Setup

HU: Eclipse AVN6620

Amp: Audison LRx5.1k

Mids: 6 1/2" Silver Flute's

Tweets: Clarion SSS601

No rears

Subs: (2) TREO SSi12.22's

Processing: Audio Control DQS, Phoenix Gold BassCube

Clarion Collector

HEAD UNITS:

7770 w/920EQ w/2nd 920EQ display

ADCS-1 w/CDC605

5780CD

DRX9375r w/DPH9300

DRX9575Rz w/DPH7500z* (*1 of2)

DRX9675z (2X)

AutoPC 310

HX-D10 w/DPH910

DXZ615 w/DPH7500z* (*2 of 2)

CDC655

DRX8275 w/DPH9100

DRX7475

5632CD

AMPS:

A007-w

1800A

A1200

A500

APA4200

APA4320

APX400.4M

SPEAKERS:

SSS601 (2X)

SRC4650

SRC5752

SEC571

SEW5107

the biggest thing in sq is treating the car you need a metric ton of deadener and mlv and foam

Believe it or not SQ guys don't waste their money on a ton of deadener. The guys i talk to only use what is necessary which is surprisingly less than most acknowledge.

Something to the effect of, anything more than 30% of a panel covered is a waste of CLD and multi layers of anything is like gluing money to the panels of the car. Deadener is only for large panels. The rest can actually be cheap.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

Wow thanks for the amswers guys... Strangely enough they do actually make sense...

@smgreen, to be honest i really only like having the rear fill in to give the whole staging a more 3d depth, and would normally not waste my time replacing the oem rears as they are really not that bad especially since i normally set the rear fill to a "whisper" compared to the fronts and just run them off the deck, the only reasons i'm considdering it is because i hate mixing brands, i'm anal like that and if Hertz made an amp as good as the audison i would ditch the audison too, my real question is really, do i use the 2 way or the 3 way in the front, judging from your answer i assume you prefer the 2 way, either way i assume then also that if i'm using the amps crossovers i'll be ditching the ones that came with the components, also for the sub, do i use a sealed enclosure or ported, ported just seams too SPL, too boomy if that makes sense,as for sound deadening being used, that goes without saying in this install.

Sorry about the bad punctuation in this post i used the iphone to reply.

mods to come...

'01 Subary Impreza WRX]

UNITRONIC remap [sOLD]

the biggest thing in sq is treating the car you need a metric ton of deadener and mlv and foam

Believe it or not SQ guys don't waste their money on a ton of deadener. The guys i talk to only use what is necessary which is surprisingly less than most acknowledge.

Something to the effect of, anything more than 30% of a panel covered is a waste of CLD and multi layers of anything is like gluing money to the panels of the car. Deadener is only for large panels. The rest can actually be cheap.

I are sq guy, if you are using your doors as an enclosure you need a shit ton of deadener to make it 100% stiff so it doesn't resonate and cloud your midbass

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

I think the best SQ vehicle I've heard had about 50%-75% coverage (doors had probably a bit more) with sound deadener mat followed by a layer of MLV. Not only did it sound amazing, it could get pretty damn loud without rattles, panel flex, or distortion. Wish I could remember his setup though...

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

This is prolyy stupid, but whaat in the hell is MLV? Lol

Not a stupid question! MLV = Mass Loaded Vinyl.

Later,

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png