Quick Question about Wiring

There really is no benefit to running larger wire than required though.

:orly3:

So what happens when he upgrades to an amp that needs 0ga wire, or multiple amps? Better to get the larger wire now so you don't have to buy wire all over again and run it all over again when you upgrade in the future. IMO

Yep, exactly why I'm running the wire.

And out of curiosity, I tried to check the pictures on your sig, and it says the album is protected... Can you either make it public, or PM me the pw to see the pictures?

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Here's another question.

I was looking, taking measurements for how much wire I need to do the big 3, and can't figure out how to do the alt to batt...

It seems the wire from the alternator goes down under everything else, then comes back up to the battery, and me and dad can't figure where the hell if goes down there.

Would it be safe to just run it straight from the alt to battery, or do we need to figure out where that wire is going first?

Instead of chasing the stock alternator charge wire and un doing all the factory tubing, I just re ran my own wire from the alt to the battery, of course making sure the stock connector was off. I just cut the stock wire and hid it.

Well the main reason I was asking, was because my dad said he doesn't know if the wire goes somewhere first. Like, there's nothing between the alt and batt is there? Or would that differ between vehicles?

And why would I need to make sure the stock one was disconnected, I thought I remembered hearing it doesn't matter if you leave it, since the electricity will automatically go to the path of less resistance?

you can leave it hooked up. I know in my car the factory alt has to stay on or the ecu doesnt power on. i leave em both hooked up.

Rebuild Log with the SMD

CURRENT..

Honda Accord Coupe

Porsche Cayenne S

Lexus CT200

Lexus ES300 (sold)

99 Lexus RX 300 (sold)

ADDING

Honda - Hertz setup, more to come

Porsche - Fi BL, XS Power, more to come

coming soon..
peep the old rebuild log of the Lexus RX

my factory wire went from alt to like a distro block then to my battey. so i just added wire from alt to battery and kept the factory wire. for my car i guess my alt powers some stuff in my car. so i left it.

2000 tahoe

orion hcca 15.4

kicker zx2500

2 JL 300/4s

infinity and kicker mids/highs

KHC1400 in back, stock upfront

dont ask about my HU

clarion EQ

kicker/fosgate rcas

thats what they are saying. leave it hooked up and run another wire to the bat. i had to break a piece of plastic around my +post on my alt to get my 0 gauge to go onto the bolt but it came off and has never gave me any trouble since. happy wire running.

So... I've seen two different ways of doing the Big 3.

Or at least, I think I have.

So, I'm confused on how the engine block ground is...

One of the ways I saw said I go from the engine block to the chassis...

The other said negative on battery to engine block...

Which is correct? And is there an existing wire I'm replacing by doing this, or this a new connection?

Edited by imnotmikal
On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Big 3:

1. ALT to battery +

2. Engine to chassis -

3. Battery to chassis -

If it were me, I would leave all the old wiring and just add better wiring. For sure leave the old alt to battery + wire. The grounds are not as big a deal to take out and replace.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69