Quick Question about Wiring

I have a quick question for you guys...

I plan on re-running my power wire (right now I have 4awg, I plan on replacing it with 0) and I also plan on doing the Big 3 while at it.

The amp I am currently using accepts 4awg, so I just wanted to make sure it's okay to have the 0 awg, going to a distro, cutting it down the 4awg, since it would be going from bigger wire to small wire...

As long as I have my fuses and everything, I should be fine, correct?

Thanks in advance

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

You could use a distro block. You can also trim the 0 gauge so it fits in the 4 gauge hole. Or use a reducer on the end of the 0 gauge.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Here's another question.

I was looking, taking measurements for how much wire I need to do the big 3, and can't figure out how to do the alt to batt...

It seems the wire from the alternator goes down under everything else, then comes back up to the battery, and me and dad can't figure where the hell if goes down there.

Would it be safe to just run it straight from the alt to battery, or do we need to figure out where that wire is going first?

2008 Subaru Forester XT

I plan on re-running my power wire (right now I have 4awg, I plan on replacing it with 0) and I also plan on doing the Big 3 while at it.

The amp I am currently using accepts 4awg, so I just wanted to make sure it's okay to have the 0 awg, going to a distro, cutting it down the 4awg, since it would be going from bigger wire to small wire...

Thanks in advance

Correct. There really is no benefit to running larger wire than required though.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

Thanks in advance

Correct. There really is no benefit to running larger wire than required though.

Well, I'm running larger wire now, so I don't have to do it later when I decide to upgrade.

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Here's another question.

I was looking, taking measurements for how much wire I need to do the big 3, and can't figure out how to do the alt to batt...

It seems the wire from the alternator goes down under everything else, then comes back up to the battery, and me and dad can't figure where the hell if goes down there.

Would it be safe to just run it straight from the alt to battery, or do we need to figure out where that wire is going first?

Instead of chasing the stock alternator charge wire and un doing all the factory tubing, I just re ran my own wire from the alt to the battery, of course making sure the stock connector was off. I just cut the stock wire and hid it.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

Here's another question.

Instead of chasing the stock alternator charge wire and un doing all the factory tubing, I just re ran my own wire from the alt to the battery, of course making sure the stock connector was off. I just cut the stock wire and hid it.

Well the main reason I was asking, was because my dad said he doesn't know if the wire goes somewhere first. Like, there's nothing between the alt and batt is there? Or would that differ between vehicles?

And why would I need to make sure the stock one was disconnected, I thought I remembered hearing it doesn't matter if you leave it, since the electricity will automatically go to the path of less resistance?

2008 Subaru Forester XT

There really is no benefit to running larger wire than required though.

:orly3:

So what happens when he upgrades to an amp that needs 0ga wire, or multiple amps? Better to get the larger wire now so you don't have to buy wire all over again and run it all over again when you upgrade in the future. IMO

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f