Sonic Electronix

[Updated - Fixed] Who can figure out what I'm doing wrong?

There is no reason to turn your gain that high, probably why you are blowing fuses.

oh really? what if you only have 1v preout at the HU? or the amp's gain goes from .2v to 4v and you have a 2v head unit. bet you turn it up past half way.

OP, learn how to set gains with that chart that got posted. make sure you do that right then if it still blows fuses we can look at other options.

oh and turn the bass boost and sub levels to 0!!!!!!!!!

You're speaking a different language at the beginning there lol but I do know how to check with a DMM except.. at 2 ohms this amp will only do 550 watts, I can't set it to the RMS, so do I need to slowly turn the gain up until there isn't an increase in wattage, then back down? That would equal a safe setting correct? Then leave bass boost off, unless I re-set the gain.

I think that is correct.

There is no reason to turn your gain that high, probably why you are blowing fuses.

oh really? what if you only have 1v preout at the HU? or the amp's gain goes from .2v to 4v and you have a 2v head unit. bet you turn it up past half way.

OP, learn how to set gains with that chart that got posted. make sure you do that right then if it still blows fuses we can look at other options.

You're speaking a different language at the beginning there lol but I do know how to check with a DMM except.. at 2 ohms this amp will only do 550 watts, I can't set it to the RMS, so do I need to slowly turn the gain up until there isn't an increase in wattage, then back down? That would equal a safe setting correct? Then leave bass boost off, unless I re-set the gain.

I think that is correct.

no, not at all correct. and that ok, your learning :good:

1st of all, i know you are not measuring wattage anywhere. it takes a DMM and a clamp meter + a little math.

the amp can put out more power but it will be past distortion. you will have a clipped signal and that will blow your subs.

the most helpful advice i can give you is to go to BCAE1.com and read as much as you can. everything is organized into categories with pictures and calculators and a great write up of what it all means. and they do have a section for setting amplifier gains.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Hope this info helps you in making a wise decision and not be disappointed. I have used Power Acoutik BAMF 2000D/1, 4000D/1, 1800/2, 1250/2, 1200/4, because I am the distributor in my locality. I dont think the BAMF 2000/1 will outperform your Kicker DX1000. Actually the Bamf 4000/1D still performs way below a Kicker ZX750.1

But you could get two or a second BAMF 2000d/1 and strap it for an encellent output.

Regarding your problem check the impedance of the VC using your DMM. It should be from 1ohm o 4ohms. It will be most likely 3ohm. If there is a short the amp gets overloaded and it can pull more

power and blow the fuse. Try running the amp on a single sub at 1 ohm. Connect your single sub in parallel and play it wisely. This could be a good diagonostic.

Reference for others. Performed on stock battery and alternator with vehicle running.

Kicker 11ZX750.1 - 66 Volts on DMM

BAMF 4000/1D - 60 Volts on DMM

DLS CAD15 - 79 Volts on DMM

BAMF 4000/1D strapped - 120 Volts on DMM

I think that is correct.

no, not at all correct. and that ok, your learning :good:

1st of all, i know you are not measuring wattage anywhere. it takes a DMM and a clamp meter + a little math.

the amp can put out more power but it will be past distortion. you will have a clipped signal and that will blow your subs.

the most helpful advice i can give you is to go to BCAE1.com and read as much as you can. everything is organized into categories with pictures and calculators and a great write up of what it all means. and they do have a section for setting amplifier gains.

Couldn't have said it any better

Just do what the chart hotdog posted says. By turning the gain up you arn't going to get more wattage than what your amp will put out at two ohms. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

http://www.youtube.c...er/SmallTownSPL

2002 Chevy Blazer

Substage: Shhh, its a secret ;)

Mids and Highs: Stock-Going to change soon

Amp:MTX 92001

Wire:1/0 Welding cable

Electrical:Stock

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

I hope she was meaning that to you. Any who.... You dont say you wanna have dinner in the first damn post. talk to her first. I say find out if the status was torwards you..

Here try this...

"Hey hows it going :)( notice smiley face makes everything better ) I saw your status. "You are far from usual".... So is my dick... Wanna Fuck tommorow???"

Or send her message saying "hey" she replies back "hey" when this happens reply Wanna fuck (INSERT ADDRESS HERE)

Quote of the SPL Creed ; back in the day my girlfriend gave me a choice between her and my love for car audio, I told that bitch I've made harder decisions at the Coke machine. :)

Just do what the chart hotdog posted says. By turning the gain up you arn't going to get more wattage than what your amp will put out at two ohms. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

K, before I start reading through all the information, let me just ask this question..

I bought this amp based on Kickers website. That it does 1000 watts @ 2 ohms. Well these subs can't be wired to 1 ohm, so 800 combined RMS meant this amp would be perfect. When I got it though, the manual says 1000 watts @ 1 ohm and 550 watts @ 2 ohms. Damn, so unless I wire these down to .5 ohms (and trust me I'm not) I will only get a good 550 - 650 watts RMS out of this amp.

It would be wise to buy an AMP that will give more watts @ 2 ohms.. Correct?

I mean, even if I figure out why it's blowing fuses, it still won't power the subs the way they could. I'm trying to justify putting the work in to figure this out when I could get something that better fits my subs.

A local shop offered me 2 subs that are 1000 watts combined @ 1 ohm, but I would have to sell two Kicker Comp 12s and two Kicker CompVR 12s to fund them. I've got myself into a hole and don't know which direction to go to get out.

I appreciate all of the help guys.

Edit: I had a Kenwood 720 something, 1000 watt 2 channel amp before. I bridged it, and set my gain just below where it distorted. It would hit really hard, but I got rid of it because it got so hot and cut out. This kicker doesn't even hit nearly as hard before it starts to blow fuses. Still, I'm left thinking I have an amp problem. Just to throw that in there.

Dad has a fluke, so I'm about to go put that chart to work.

However, the reason I suggested the BAMF1000 is because I have a Best Buy gift card with 150 on it and I don't have a use for it. I wanted to get rid of it. However, what would be a good amp that is sub 200 that's at least 800 RMS @ 2 ohms and 1200 RMS @ 1 ohm. I plan to replace these with CVXs one of these days.

power acoustik amps are junk.

Even the guy who sells power acoustic just told you in this thread that a bamf4000.1 would be the same or worse then a kicker 750.1.

Dont buy that amp its lost money.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Even the guy who sells power acoustic just told you in this thread that a bamf4000.1 would be the same or worse then a kicker 750.1.

Nah I don't think I'm going to bother. I've been looking around SonicElectronix and think there are better options.

However, on topic. We pulled the Fluke out, took us a minute to figure out which setting and range to be in, but we got it down.

I'm not drawing 500 volts and my gain isn't even half way. Now I know why I blew the fuses.

Still, it isn't enough for these subs. I'm barely running them at half power, so I still need to upgrade amps. I think I can find someone to buy this amp for 200, which would give me enough to buy a Hifonics or something similar. Any suggestions?

Now before I start thinking about it, if I wired my subs down to .5 ohms and pulled out out the fluke and set the gain to around 700 - 750 watts to the sub, would I eventually damage the amp? I'm not really intent on trying it, but I am curious.

Nah I don't think I'm going to bother. I've been looking around SonicElectronix and think there are better options.

However, on topic. We pulled the Fluke out, took us a minute to figure out which setting and range to be in, but we got it down.

I'm not drawing 500 volts and my gain isn't even half way. Now I know why I blew the fuses.

Still, it isn't enough for these subs. I'm barely running them at half power, so I still need to upgrade amps. I think I can find someone to buy this amp for 200, which would give me enough to buy a Hifonics or something similar. Any suggestions?

Now before I start thinking about it, if I wired my subs down to .5 ohms and pulled out out the fluke and set the gain to around 700 - 750 watts to the sub, would I eventually damage the amp? I'm not really intent on trying it, but I am curious.

you cant "draw" voltage. and nowhere on that amp should you be seeing 500v. and how do you think you know how many watts the amp is putting out? i just need to know how you are coming up with these numbers.

but again, read BCAE1.com, its pretty clear you have a bad concept of how this all works and that site will clear everything up. :good:

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Archived