Sonic Electronix

[Updated - Fixed] Who can figure out what I'm doing wrong?

First, here is what I have right now:

JVC head unit

Kicker DX1000.1 (1000 watts @ 1 ohm / 550 watts @ 2 ohm)

Two 12" Kicker CVRs (DVC 2 ohm)

Kicker box made for CVRs / ONE terminal cup

16 gauge speaker wire connecting the speakers to the amp

4 gauge wire connecting amp to the battery w/ 125 amp ANL fuse

Ground wire is short enough and I've double checked it is properly grounded to bare metal

This amp is new. When I installed it, I knew I wouldn't be getting the right RMS for these subs, but I this is very temporary.

My subs are wired: positive to negative on the voice coils then the other positive and negative are ran to the terminal cup. According to Rockford Fosgate, this is a 2 ohm load on my amp.

So why does my amp blow every one of it's fuses as soon as the gain is turned half way? I've double checked ALL of my wiring and I cannot find a problem.

Any help is appreciated.

When setting gain either use an oscilloscope or go by this chart to keep you close to where you need to be.

RMSchart.jpg

First, here is what I have right now:

JVC head unit

Kicker DX1000.1 (1000 watts @ 1 ohm / 550 watts @ 2 ohm)

Two 12" Kicker CVRs (DVC 2 ohm)

Kicker box made for CVRs / ONE terminal cup

16 gauge speaker wire connecting the speakers to the amp

4 gauge wire connecting amp to the battery w/ 125 amp ANL fuse

Ground wire is short enough and I've double checked it is properly grounded to bare metal

This amp is new. When I installed it, I knew I wouldn't be getting the right RMS for these subs, but I this is very temporary.

My subs are wired: positive to negative on the voice coils then the other positive and negative are ran to the terminal cup. According to Rockford Fosgate, this is a 2 ohm load on my amp.

So why does my amp blow every one of it's fuses as soon as the gain is turned half way? I've double checked ALL of my wiring and I cannot find a problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Try reducing the bass on the head unit, turn off bass boost and whatever else, and keep the radio at a decent volume, and you can likely turn the gain up higher than half.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

I'm just trying to make sure I didn't screw something up in the wiring. Having my gain at half way, bass boost off, and the sub level on the head unit about 3/4 of the way up shouldn't be blowing fuses.

I've got a Power Accoustik BAMF2000D on the way. It will hit RMS for these @ 2 ohms and when I upgrade to CVXs it will hit their RMS @ 1 ohm.

I'm just making sure I won't have these problems with it. I had been leaning towards it being an amp problem, so it' being returned.

By the way, nice replies, I didn't expect 6 that quick lol

I'm just trying to make sure I didn't screw something up in the wiring. Having my gain at half way, bass boost off, and the sub level on the head unit about 3/4 of the way up shouldn't be blowing fuses.

I've got a Power Accoustik BAMF2000D on the way. It will hit RMS for these @ 2 ohms and when I upgrade to CVXs it will hit their RMS @ 1 ohm.

I'm just making sure I won't have these problems with it. I had been leaning towards it being an amp problem, so it' being returned.

By the way, nice replies, I didn't expect 6 that quick lol

It may be a amp problem. It also may be a head unit issue if you are sending a dirty clipped signal, any amp will blow fuses.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

There is no reason to turn your gain that high, probably why you are blowing fuses.

oh really? what if you only have 1v preout at the HU? or the amp's gain goes from .2v to 4v and you have a 2v head unit. bet you turn it up past half way.

OP, learn how to set gains with that chart that got posted. make sure you do that right then if it still blows fuses we can look at other options.

oh and turn the bass boost and sub levels to 0!!!!!!!!!

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Archived