Second Skin Audio

whats a goodsize box for 18 sub

I have My Rd Alpha 18 i want to build a new box for. im not to sure what a good interior volume would be best. I want to try aero ports out for once so im gonna do a 6 inch aero

1998 Dodge Intrepid

Dc 15 lv3

3.4 cu ft @31hz

rockford 6.5s all the way around

shit kenwood hu(powers 6.5's)

powerbass 1200

Ram is being rebuilt

You will need more than one 6" aero.

All i can say is to have a box for an 18 be relatively efficient it needs to be more than 4 cubes typically.

Anywhere from 5-7 should be good on moderate power.

My box for my 18 is 4 cubes net, but i am giving it double the rated power. And i am using three 4" aeros.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

The box volume is smooth. They like 5-7 cubes. And if I were you I would use 3 6" aeros. For a box that size it would want about 84-88 square inches of port. 3 6" aeros would give it about 85 square inches. But that's just me...

What are you tuning to??

Dual 6" aeros will work fine. Box volume alone doesn't dictate the needed port area. The only time it does it when it affects the potential air displacement of the sub within a given install(ie: the box volume is affecting how far you can push the sub with the power you're using).

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

That's a good way to put it and a good rule of thumb. I just went by the generic "multiply box volume by 14-16 to get a general goal for area." lol.

That's the general rule of thumb for slot/pvc ports, but with an aeroport(not PVC port) you can get away with about 40% less port area because the flares cut down on port noise considerably. I'm not saying that three would be a bad idea, but it's not necessarily needed in this case.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

Archived