Sonic Electronix

Ok well currently i have two 12" Kicker L7's in 5 cubes ported tuned to 38Hz getting 750 RMS each. I plan on buying one of Rays 18" RE MT's. I will eventualy get another but for now just run the one by itself. My question is, with the same amount of total power, in general, will the RE be louder than the two kickers even though the square area of the subs is larger then the round area of the 18? So basiacly my question is how does cone area affect spl? Thanks for the help

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

SPLMAX CUP 2008 Fourth Place Overall

logoblack.jpg

more cone area=higher spl. i thinks it goes something like this: for the same amount of power, doubling the cone area will give u an increase of 3dbs...but that is all in theory...how much power are u gonna be giving that mt?

i likes me some audio stuff...

more cone area=higher spl. i thinks it goes something like this: for the same amount of power, doubling the cone area will give u an increase of 3dbs...but that is all in theory...how much power are u gonna be giving that mt?

Well for now it would be 1600 rms, the same amp that i have on the two L7's? So your saying even though the MT is a way better sub, it wont be as loud since it has less cone area?

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

logoblack.jpg

its really hard to say...in theory thats what im saying...but there are so many other contributing factors...guess there is only one way to find out for sure... ;)

Yea either way ill im buying the MT from ray and prolly hook it up for now. Then when another great deal comes along ill snatch another one. Ill prolly buy a bigger amp then too. What is a good amount of power for the MT in a daily driver 2000 rms?

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

logoblack.jpg

im willing to bet the MT will be leaps and bounds louder then L7s depending on box skills. GL if your a beginner though slamming on MTs everyday

Lol yea pretty much a biggerning. Ill deff build a good box im great with wood and fiberglass. But you say with the same amount of power even though it has less come area the MT will be louder...HMmm interesting

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

logoblack.jpg

its mainly because MTs are meant to be loud L7 are street beater subs. when you get an MT in your hands i think youll understand the diff in a MT and a L7 alot more.

Yea i see what you meen. Arent the MT the same motor and everything as the Fi BTL? If so can the same recone be aplied on either one?

TEAM SUNDOWN

4 Nightshade 15"s

2 Sundown SAZ-4500

8 Deep Cycle batts

1998 Cadillac Catera

logoblack.jpg