Jeep is sputtering or misfiring MORE INFO ON PG 4

Yea thats an inline filter. Most new cars are in the tank. Its a pain.

I would suggest my ghetto chekc first. Because these days it is rare for a fuel filter to clog because the gas is so much cleaner than it used to be. But then again you have alot of miles and tiny things build up.

The ghetto check also verifies that your fuel pump is working too.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

why dont u just make a video

Like i said its kind of hard, If it did it consistently then it wouldn't be a problem, tomorrow i am going to carry my cam with me and try to get it on video.

My jeep is sputtering, Its hard to explain it doesn't do it like clock work its kind of hit or miss, For instance yesterday i drove to my buddys house (15 min) turned it off, went to leave 20 minutes later and it sputtered just a little bit and kind of worked its self out.

Well Today i took my little brothers to the park (8 minutes) then played there for about a hr then drove to the gas station (10) went inside got a drink came outside 2 minutes later and started heading home and the whole way home its sputtering BAD.

Pretty much anytime after i drive it and it warms up, i let it sit and it does it, I have been thinking Fuel filter, O2 sensor ect BUT i dont have the money to just start replacing parts so i want to have a real good idea first

Here is what i do know.

93 jeep grand cherokee Laredo

4.0 I6

new exhahust manifold

Just sprayed the fuck out of my throttle body with throttle body cleaner the other night (it was sputtering before)

Also the other day my buddys grandpa too a look at it and we replaced the Ignition rotor (it was in 2 pieces) and Distro cap, It helped a lot.

Any help it appreciated. I need my jeep to get to job interviews and take my little bros to school.

Also i posted this on the jeepforum.

Sounds to me like it's a fuel issue. From your description sounds like the fuel pump is going out. When it get's hot and you let the Jeep sit it could be bleeding down fuel pressure. Pretty easy to diagnose just put a fuel guage on it and you will see if fue pressure drops from when it runs good to when it is acting up. I am Jeep?Chrysler/dodge tech for over ten years so take my advise and check out your fuel pressure. Hope you take care of it easyly and soon!

Yea thats an inline filter. Most new cars are in the tank. Its a pain.

I would suggest my ghetto chekc first. Because these days it is rare for a fuel filter to clog because the gas is so much cleaner than it used to be. But then again you have alot of miles and tiny things build up.

The ghetto check also verifies that your fuel pump is working too.

Yea i was pretty sure fuel pump is working, i can actually hear the pump turn on when i turn the key.

That doesn't mean it's pumping at 100% though.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Read the codes from the computer...

You do this by turning the ignition from 'off' to 'on', 3 times, on the 3rd time leave it on.

Have a pen and a piece of paper to write the codes down. The check engine light will blink in a certain pattern.

You can look these codes up on the internet of what they mean. There will be a series flashes and then a pause inbetween each number.

If you get the codes off of the computer it may say something like small evap leak, or large evap leak which could be something as simple as the gas cap seal, or a broken vacuum hose..as you say you just put a manifold on it..odds are you could have broken some vacuum hoses in the mean time.

If it has a good bit of miles on it replacing the fuel filter would not be a bad idea. However, you can get a fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure on the fuel rail..if you have good pressure then that is not your problem. A bad map sensor can also cause it, along with the o2 sensor.

First things first though, pull the codes off of the computer..write them down and report back.

Authorized Ascendant Audio Dealer! Message me for information.

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -Albert Einstein

"I have a plausible excuse for not liking you. And you know why."

Good stuff NDM. I was unaware of that style of pulling codes. Before my time I guess.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

That doesn't mean it's pumping at 100% though.

Right, Ill check the fuel filter tomorrow, If i do a fuel pressure test that will tell me if i have a failing fuel filter wont it?

If so what would ideal fuel pressure be? I dont have a owner manual

Read the codes from the computer...

You do this by turning the ignition from 'off' to 'on', 3 times, on the 3rd time leave it on.

Have a pen and a piece of paper to write the codes down. The check engine light will blink in a certain pattern.

You can look these codes up on the internet of what they mean. There will be a series flashes and then a pause inbetween each number.

If you get the codes off of the computer it may say something like small evap leak, or large evap leak which could be something as simple as the gas cap seal, or a broken vacuum hose..as you say you just put a manifold on it..odds are you could have broken some vacuum hoses in the mean time.

If it has a good bit of miles on it replacing the fuel filter would not be a bad idea. However, you can get a fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure on the fuel rail..if you have good pressure then that is not your problem. A bad map sensor can also cause it, along with the o2 sensor.

First things first though, pull the codes off of the computer..write them down and report back.

Nice man i was just posting about the fuel pressure test,

Ok so check engine light flashing 3 times is 3 correct?

I can go do this real quick, Also i did snap a line that goes from the fuel presure regulator to the intake manifold, Replaced it.

Edit, i just went out there and did what you told me,

Check engine light flashed 5 times paused and flashed 5 more times

Which after looking online code 55 means there is no more fault codes to display

Archived