Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

Recommended Posts

Posted

So I was listening to my subwoofer the other day upclose and I heard tapping thought it was nothing pull it out free-air it nothing... So I look at the bottom of the cone theres 4 little scrape marks indicating tinsels hitting the cone lines up perfect its slight but still noticable and you can hear the tap vaguely on higher notes where my jeeps not rattling so bad. You have to have your ear RIGHT UPTO the subwoofer to hear it and its faint.

Well I just recently undertuned a box that was supposed to be 28 to 27hz Im thinking my woofer is only good 30-32hz on full tilt I'm also thinking my box is TOO big im running 1500RMS all day on this woofer and 7cft seems rather large when I was told 5cft is plenty this is an 18" btw double stack magnets. I also think I have slight clipping due to my semi stock electrical.

So does this all add up? how bad is it? what can I do to fix it? If I couldnt hear it freeair it cant be that bad haha it was a slight tap and I had to full tilt it free air to get it. It seems when in the box though it does it more. I dont want to eff up my $400 18" so please help me guys lol. Should I retune a box @ 6cft 32hz and go back a lil more on my gain to maybe 1200rms until I get a better alt?

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200

Posted

You could put some foam pads on the cone so the leads don't tap.

What does your voltage drop to?

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Posted

On full tilt sitting about 12.9 while driving between 13.5-14.5 cant test listen while i drive since id have to be in the back haha and nobody around to hold the gas down :(

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200

Posted

im afraid the leads might break off or wear my cone so if foam pads is doable where can I get them? it seems like if this was ideal dave would have included them he warned me of over excursion below 32hz but others said itd be fine.

I'm using 9" Progressive Soft Spiders the tinsel is steal nice and snug to the spiders its not inter-woven like Fi does but it was a good job and I dont see ALL 4 of them doing it if it was a bad stitch job.

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200

Posted

bump contacted dave waiting for an answer.

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200

Posted

lead slaps not hard to fix. just glue sum felt padding on the cone above where the leads are. thats how DC and FI and all the big boys do their cones and leads

forum2_zpsxe3pvakm.jpg

Posted

Im just worried that this could be bad? im sure dave tested it and if it slapped hed have a reason can anyone identify why its doing NOW? and not before? and can anyone confirm the pads are an esay fix?

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200

Posted

Last bump before bed come on guys this has to be somewhat normal where can I get the right "felt" and I glue it? hmm i'd prefer not can anyone tell me if too big of box/too low of tuning could cause this? Seems so if thats the case ill just go back to 32hz @ 6cft.

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200

Posted

More than likely that is your problem, having too much volume in your box. That will case the sub to bottom out and have too much excursion. I would also suggest padding the cone where it hits, something as light as tissue and as soft. Im thinking something like those felt pads you put on the bottom of chairs and furniture so it doesnt scratch hard wood floors.

1991 Accord

Audioque HDC3 15" (Copper)<--Sub

Audioque HDC3 15" (Copper)<--Backup Sub

Crescendo BC2000D<--Amp

Big 3

1/0 Knu<--Wiring

Eonon 3.5" DVD<--Headunit

Infinity Kappa Perfect<--Mids & Highs

2nd Stock 80Amp alt.

1991 Mustang 5.0

Too many mods

(Sold)

1991 240sx SR20 Red Top

Too many mods

(Sold)

2004 GTO

Just starting mods

Posted

Ill felt the woofer if you guys think its a good idea but im almost 100% its box size and tuning thats causing this :( I just want a vouch that that could cause this. I just need suggestions and ways to minimalize this I planned on making a new box anyways. I'd just like to know what could cause this now and where to get felt to help.

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2275 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...