Yes, the sound just comes from the arc itself affecting the air around it. So far I have yet to find a design that will get a decent amount of volume to it though, so I'm not sure how it will do for tower speakers. I'll let you know how mine comes out.

• 5 weeks later...

OK, so I have gotten the circuit mostly wired up now. I just need to slap it in the box that I have for it and connect up the flyback transformer, power, and music source and we will be ready for some testing. I should have some results tonight or tomorrow so stay tuned!

IMG_20110622_061729.jpg

IMG_20110622_061736.jpg

OK, got the box together, and tested it out at work today. No sound source was connected and the circuit wasn't tuned yet, hence the buzzing. Once I get the pot adjusted correctly, that noise should go away, and then I can test it with the proper amount of power and windings. This will make the ark bigger, and consequently more dangerous (probably won't be holding the wire with my hand then :ehh:)

Plasma Speaker Test 1

Edited by devedo

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have since tuned in the circuit and decreased the windings in the primary coil of the flyback transformer and thus increased the voltage output of the secondary. The arc is nice and quiet and gets pretty large. However, my coil doesn't seem to be capable of handling the extra voltage as it has shorted internally and cannot barely create a decent arc anymore.

Next step: build one from scratch. This ought to be fun :nea:

I built an ozone generator that looks similar to this, but a lot less complex. I used a neon sign transformer. Some of my employees used one of my spare vehicles to go down to the coast to go fishing, when they came back they spilt the melted ice in my truck. It stunk bad. Tried steam cleaning and everything else. Built the ozone generator and it cleared up the smell within an hour.