Why are they REALLY better?

Alright, so im about to redo my front doors.

Im going to be doing 4 speakers in each door...

After a bunch of reading i just honestly do not understand what makes components so much better than Coaxials.

I understand that Components generally allow for better staging due to the fact that the tweeters can be moved...

If i am not mistaken coaxials have a built in crossover that should in theory do the same thing that a crossover on components speakers would do...

And with HPF's set on the amp, canceling out the lows would not be an issue at all.

Some component sets are even "transformable", which basically lets you mount the tweet on the mid-bass. Essentially turning them into coaxials.

I know people are going to swarm in here saying HERP COMPONENTS ARE BETTER DERP.

But if that is going to be your answer, can you possibly give me your PERSONAL experiences, not just what you saw on YouTube.

The cost difference in components v/s coaxials is large enough for me to pose this question. (especially when buying multiple sets.

If possible i might end up getting 2 sets of components and place the tweeters up high for staging purposes, and then getting 2 pairs of coaxials as well.

They would obiously be speakers from the same series (RF power comps/coaxs', or Infinity Kappa Perfect Coms/coaxs')

I look forward to hearing your informed opinions!

Thanks

Edited by JZeFF

Pioneer x930 bt

Rockford t2500 bdcp

18" nightshade v1

DC audio 175.4

RF power T162s up front, infinity 3 way 6x9's in the back (removing rear stage and re-doing doors soon)

3x XS power D2700's

Knukonceptz 0awg all around

To elaborate just a pinch, they typically have far better components used in the crossovers for separates. ^ and as said multiple times, staging. Also if you have some form of signal processor it could allow you to do timing as well.

06 GP GXP

Google Nexus 7 16gb

Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.3

*Electrical*

DC Power 320a HP

2 - Juicebox Bananas g31

Stinger SPP2250 rear

Kinetik HC1800 side of wall

Optima Red Top front

Monster Cable 1/0, 2 runs to rear

Monster Cable 1/0 Big 3

2-Rockford Fosgate T1652S's

Rockford Fosgate T400-4

Rockford Fosgate T40001bd (4693rms @1ohm)

4-Sundown SA-15 D2's wired @ 1ohm/These are on the way out for 4 one off Eminent Audio 15's

15.2 cubes net tuned @34hz! Walled off

DBdrag official 151.6db @46hz

GXP Build log!:GP GXP Walled

Quality is the sign of a true enthusiast!

Refs: Link to leave more: http://www.stevemead...91#entry1603091

Bought from: Trippi (RF T2500bd, T1000-4),bre2ts (25ft Knu 1/0)

Sold to: shmew22 (T1500bdCP), Rev. Wrath (RF 3SIXTY.1), trjohnst (Knu 1/0, 3 fuse holders), Enemyofsilence (Audio Technix, RF T400-4).

the biggest difference are the x-overs. In coaxiles, companies are vary limited in the components they use in their x-overs, usualy just a simple 1st order x-over for the tweeter and they let the mid driver's inductance to take care of the low pass, since the mid is not properly crossed over, this can induce distortion and cancellation between the mid and tweeter. in components, companies are far less limited in the design of the xovers. they can put together a well deigned 2nd order or even a 3rd order xover that goes with the tweeter and mid.

fiaq3-1.jpg

2000 Subaru outback 2.5l

Head Unit: Pioneer deh 4300ub

front stage: tbd

subwoofer: Stock Fi Q 18"

amp: Audio que 1200d

also the ability to run them active, which you cannot do with coaxials

I'd hit that so fucking hard whoever pulled me out would be King of England.

Lol... looks like we were on the same page. Car-B-Ques suck.

ya, tires and paint burning make the marshmallows taste funny.

i just bought some crescendo ccx comps to replace my polk mm 65 coaxs.STOP!!!!maybe wasnt given enough power to the ccx but the polk coaxs blew away the ccxs.now im in a pickle,as i have 3 sets of ccxs and my 3 sets of polks lol.my polk coaxs came with a xover just like a comp set,had it runnin through hpf,then ran it full range.full range sounded way louder and cleaner.

alpine 794 h/u

6 crescendo ccx 6.5 comps

4 polk db 6x9 3 ways

2 jl audio OG 12w6 v1

1 jl audio OG 10w6 v1

1 soundstream rubicon rubi5.800 5 channel

1 soundstream rubicon rubi2.600 2 channel

1 soundstream rubicon rubi800.1 mono class d

1/0 knu

6 farad soundtream cap

soundstream bx 10

soundstream 3 way xover

I was interested in the sound wave aspect of things, but i read somewhere that some coaxials have nearly eliminated this problem by lifting the tweeter further away from the cone.

More specifically the new RF power coaxials. (look at the spec sheet on the RF website for a description better than the one i gave)

I guess my main reason for asking this was because i could save close to $300 if i went with two sets of components, and 2 sets of coaxials.

Would it really be a terrible idea?

Another thing that is throwing me off is the HPF on some component sets.

Some go as low as 45hz, and some others like RF power comps have a HPF set closer to 100hz.

EDIT: im sure components are better in nearly every way, but say im not trying to make people go "wow that sounds as if jesus himself is singing to me"...

Will i realy notice a huge difference in comps vs coax from the same series of speakers.

Some of us just cant afford to go balls to the wall with 4 sets of components, lol.

Edited by JZeFF

Pioneer x930 bt

Rockford t2500 bdcp

18" nightshade v1

DC audio 175.4

RF power T162s up front, infinity 3 way 6x9's in the back (removing rear stage and re-doing doors soon)

3x XS power D2700's

Knukonceptz 0awg all around