Sonic Electronix

Hey so i'm building a box for my fi 18 Q The box is 7.1 cu before displacement. and the amp i'll be running is a aq1200.

how much port area should i have ? some people have told me around 80 and others have said as high as 140. so thats a big gap so i figured i should ask.

and what should i tune it to, i was planning on 30 hz and advise on that ?

and one final question, and its probably a dumb one but i figured i should ask any way. Say my port is 6 inches wide and needs to be 32 inches long, and my box is 34 inches deep. does that mean i would make my port an L port and have it be 30 long with an L addition of 6 more inches. Or would i just build it straight ?

look at my super internets it beast!

http://speedtest.net/result/906958776.png

Guest J-BIRD

30 Hz is a great tuning for those subs. I have a friend with 2 18 inch btl's and it is tuned to 28 and it fucking slams. tuning is all a matter of what you prefer. If you are trying to meter good numbers on the dash you will tune higher , If you are looking for the crowd pleasing and bass that will make your vehicle flex tune low. If i was you I would mess around with the torres box calculator and play around with the numbers. When building my box we had to L the port because I needed to keep some extra space in the back of my tahoe and it sounds great , If you do not L the port it will change your tuning. Ill post some pics soon on how we built my box with the L......

ok thanks but i'm still confused.

what i'm trying to ask is if the port it only 2 inches from the back wall of the box. and the port is 8 inches wide. should i instead use a L port?

Edited by greatblack

ok thanks haha i will defiantly trust torres haha. i couldn't use his calculator cause i have a mac thats like 8 years old and can't run any program so i can run windows :( but i graduate next month so macbook pro for me :)

can any one comment on the port volume ? please 80 - 140 leaves a big gap.

As far as port Area keep it around 12- 16 sqaure inches of port per cubic foot for slot port or 9-13 PCF for aero ports.The amount of port area doent really make a differnce in sound unless you go below these numbers you will get port noise and above bottoming out.

Fi BTL 15 N2 D2

-4.5 net..30Hz/Birch and Braced

-AQ 2200D running at 4-ohms for meantime...

-Big 3 KNU 1/0

-XS 1200

-Sundown 100.4 SAX

-Front Stage: CDT CL-61

-Rear: Alpine Type-SA

-HeadUnit-Pioneer AVHDVD-3200

-2004 Saturn Ion

Best score to Date is a 143.1 at the kick with 2 RF HX2 10's in a PWK box!

BUILD LOG---15 BTL...Shit is loud Son!!

You TUBE---RIGHT HERE

12-16 square inches per cubic feet is the normal.

How many cubes is your box after displacement?

Take that number and multiply it by both 12 and 16. That gives you the range you are shooting for.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

12-16 square inches per cubic feet is the normal.

How many cubes is your box after displacement?

Take that number and multiply it by both 12 and 16. That gives you the range you are shooting for.

ok thanks that helped a lot. how do figure out the displacement of a 45 in the port ? and if i need to change port size accordingly