Second Skin Audio

are my port calculations correct

Ok so I'm completely new to ported enclosures but I thought I'd give it a go and see what I come up with, I already have the box (hacking up an old sealed enclosure which is about 2 cubic feet) and due to a lack of wood/funds the box dimensions CAN NOT change, only the port dimensions can change.

According to my calculations on Torres' box calculator my enclosure should be tuned to around 34/35Hz, but the port looks a little small to me, but then again I have no idea if it's right or wrong, can someone please check it over and advise me what to do if it's not correct, cheers.

I'm going to be putting an alpine Type R in it running at about 700 Watts, this box will only be temporary until I get my new gear.

alpinetyper.png

alpbox1.png

alpbox2.png

alpbox3.png

Way too small for a slot port, you could use 2 pvc pipes 3" dia. and 14" L for tuning of 35hz which is still small but will let you get the most space inside the box as possible till a proper one can be built.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I made my calculations using round pvc as ports and not the slot port thats there now.

With the pvc ports you would remove the piece inside and block the small hole left where the port was and then use 2 pieces of pvc pipe 3" in diameter and each one 14" long.

The PORT DIMENSIONS has several boxes, all the top boxes are for slot, square or some other type of port and the bottom ones are for round and aero ports where the number of ports and diameter of ports come into play.

Edited by Skullz

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

oh wait thats 14" for the pvc pipes, my bad lol. ideally it needs to be a slot port as I can't really get hold of any PVC at the moment, I don't really know how to use that program but from what I can see I haven't done anything wrong :nea:

Right, so where it says it's tuned to 34.6 Hz it actually won't be tuned to that?

I know the RE calculator isn't exactly accurate but I'm getting similar results (32Hz) with the same dimensions, does the port need to be wider and longer in an L shape? or am I completey missing something here?

Edited by 3kout

Yes it will be tuned to that but will restrict the performance of the sub though as the port is small and inefficient and will be like having a really bad leaking sealed box. If you haven't made any changes to the box at the moment i'd just leave it alone till you can build a proper one sized and tuned for your application.

Edited by Skullz

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

it was a box for two 12", and I took the front off as there were two 12" holes as I now only have one sub, so would I be better of puting a new front on it and having it a sealed enclosure at 2 cubic feet? I'm not sure if that's a bit too large for a type R?

According to the specs the maximum size for a sealed is 1.25 cubes, which is way under this box's size, but I suppose they aren't always the limitations? I just don't want to damange the woofer by sticking it in a sealed 2 cubic foot enclosure or a poor ported enclosure.

When I try to extend the length of the port the cut sheet list just displays N/A which means I'm obviously doing something wrong, but it says there are port bends. I don't suppose anyone will be able to give me some dimensions of a slot port that will work with this box and have it tuned to around 35Hz? as it has become obvious I have absoloutely no idea what I'm doing lol.

Edited by 3kout

If you open the port to 1.75" and make it 26" long it will give a tuning of 35.17hz but reduce your net to 1.52cf which is pretty small for that sub, measure down the middle of the port when measuring the length of the port.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

When I try to extend the length of the port the cut sheet list just displays N/A which means I'm obviously doing something wrong, but it says there are port bends. I don't suppose anyone will be able to give me some dimensions of a slot port that will work with this box and have it tuned to around 35Hz? as it has become obvious I have absoloutely no idea what I'm doing lol.

no, you're not doing anything wrong. it's just the cut sheet which means there's just way way too many numbers to try to fit in that little box for a cut sheet for a port. not only would it not fit, but if it did it'd be pretty much impossible to make heads or tails out of it.