Sonic Electronix

You started blasting away without any "break-in" period? Some people dont agree with this but many people do, new audio should be treated like a new engine, gradually broken in.....dont just go balls to the walls. :werd_msword:

What does break in have to do with the coils? To the point where the coils would get hot enough to smell.

OP, obviously there are issues with the way you are powering said sub.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Is there alot of saw dust in the box?

Not that I know of, the box came prefabricated (bought it via internet).

And that's why I bought a W7, to pound it hard...whats the point of having a $600 (obv didn't cost me 600) sub if you cant play it loud?

Also I would agree about "balls to the wall" playing if i had a 1000/1, but I only have a 500/1 at half gain...

Gain is not a volume knob.

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

Yeah I didn't "break-in" the sub. It was working perfect the whole week except today.

My gain on the amp is not high at all, is at 10 o'clock, is there anything else besides not "breaking-in" the sub and having the gain bellow middle...thats making the sub heat up the box?

You need to set your gain(s) with an oscilloscope.

this thread made me lol, don't go balls to the wall just yet! let that sucker break in! yet again some CVX's we installed recently got a little stinky, maybe it's the audiopipe 3000D :P

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

Ok how about this, in the W7 manual theres actually some "base" setting for the 500/1 amp to use with the W7, I set everything exactly as the manual said, also im not getting any distortion, my sound is very clear, also my sub is not doing crazy excursions, doesnt look forced....yet it was doing this today

Ok how about this, in the W7 manual theres actually some "base" setting for the 500/1 amp to use with the W7, I set everything exactly as the manual said, also im not getting any distortion, my sound is very clear, also my sub is not doing crazy excursions, doesnt look forced....yet it was doing this today

You can't really go by a piece of paper... Have your gains set with a o-scope. What do you have the bass boost and LPF set at?

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

Don't mean to jack your thread but I would like to know how to break in your subs correctly

Car: 2012 Acura TL Elite

Head Unit: JL Audio Fix86

Front Stage : Alpine SPX-17PRO

Rear Stage : Alpine SPR-60C

Component Amp : JL Audio HD 600/4

Sub : 1 12" JL Audio W7

Sub Amp : JL Audio HD 1200

Archived