I am still trying to understand if i do need an alt and upgraded battery for my system or not.

Specs:

2001 f150 supercrew 5.4 v8

1800w rms total

(kicker 1500.1 amp and infinity for highs)

I have talked to multiple people (even michael hughes which lives and has a shop in my town) that say to just do a second battery and my stock alt is fine for the job. BUT everywhere else I read on the internet has told me otherwise that I need to upgrade my alt and front battery. I have killed my battery and fried my amp....but I did have a yellowtop shit battery. SO i assume I am pulling too much current. I read that a second battery only allows more "parking lot time" and doesn't fix voltage issues.

Please give me some insight. I have read too much to understand what to do! I want to do it right, but also not spend money on unnecessary equipment.

Thanks!

2 Sundown Audio SA-10s

Box built by Speed of Sound

Kicker 1500.1

Infinity Ref 475a

Rockford Fosgate T1682c 6x8s

Pioneer Premier DEH-510UB

XS Power D6500

Stock 130amp Alt

Big 3

Build Log

I think you should be fine also. A good rule of thumb is once you get past two batteries and maybe 2500-3000 watts then it is time for a new alternator. That doesn't apply in every situation, but I found that it is right most of the time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you should be fine also. A good rule of thumb is once you get past two batteries and maybe 2500-3000 watts then it is time for a new alternator. That doesn't apply in every situation, but I found that it is right most of the time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

i mean good to note. I just don't want to be dragged into buying something. I am just lost at what to do.

2 Sundown Audio SA-10s

Kicker 1500.1

Infinity Ref 475a

XS Power D6500

Stock 130amp Alt

Big 3

Build Log

I had a DC 2k running on stock alt (117 amp) with only .3 drop at full tilt with ac and lights full blast. Only battery I had in my truck was an XS d3400, which was in front. Get one of those and you'll be set mate 8)

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

I had a DC 2k running on stock alt (117 amp) with only .3 drop at full tilt with ac and lights full blast. Only battery I had in my truck was an XS d3400, which was in front. Get one of those and you'll be set mate 8)

no charging issues at all? you werent killing the battery? didnt die on you later down the road? ya i was just thinking of upgrading my one main battery in the front and go from there. it would be a d6500 anyway. thats the stock direct replacement for my truck

Edited by VIP3R

2 Sundown Audio SA-10s

Kicker 1500.1

Infinity Ref 475a

XS Power D6500

Stock 130amp Alt

Big 3

Build Log

the way a battery dies on you is if its improperly charged. the thing to worry about is your alternator, when they try and charge too many batteries that are pretty drained it overworks your alt. so make sure you charge the bank if you play the music when the trucks off.

*this was in response to your question to Supercharged DC

Edited by nickers

chevrolet all day er day.

'81 camaro z28 performance

'03 silverado ext cab show and go

the way a battery dies on you is if its improperly charged. the thing to worry about is your alternator, when they try and charge too many batteries that are pretty drained it overworks your alt. so make sure you charge the bank if you play the music when the trucks off.

*this was in response to your question to Supercharged DC

so inother words just upgrade the main battery and not to worry?

2 Sundown Audio SA-10s

Kicker 1500.1

Infinity Ref 475a

XS Power D6500

Stock 130amp Alt

Big 3

Build Log