Sonic Electronix

Idling for long periods of time definitely isnt the best thing to do for an engine. a lot of heat builds up under that hood when its 90+ degrees out. Some cars do have better cooling systems than others though. My dad's F150 runs at the same temperature on the freeway that it does sitting in the driveway idling for a while. My car on the other hand, runs at about 160-180 when Im on the freeway, and just sitting there idling itll hit 210 or more if its really hot out. There is definitely an added strain on the cooling system. Thats part of the police package on cars. they have a beefier cooling system because police cars do a whole lot of idling

you have a strange and disturbing avatar there bud.

you also make some good points, especially about the police package. police cars have larger radiators, larger crank cases, transmission coolers and bigger oil pans so they can hold more oil. even the hybrid cars are outfitted with better cooling components.

However, letting a car idle for a moderate amount of time while playing a system shouldn't drastically affect the engine temperature.

I feel like this shouldn't really be an issue. just use common sense when your listening to music. if its 100 degrees out I dont even want to be sitting in the car with the air on. id rather just not be idling at all, let alone powering up 5 amplifiers and 30 speakers. if your careful with what you do, there shouldnt be any problems.

If u have a really bangin system don't do it.

No alt to charge the battery is gong to have voltages droppin into 10's quick...

I can't see my amp making it 3 min at full tilt especially with the car off and 2 big batteries.

Bad idea and a charger usually makes the amp produce a hum on the output.

Now u have a weak stereo and 6x9's u can do it all day....

Edited by sactownstang

Idling for long periods of time definitely isnt the best thing to do for an engine. a lot of heat builds up under that hood when its 90+ degrees out. Some cars do have better cooling systems than others though. My dad's F150 runs at the same temperature on the freeway that it does sitting in the driveway idling for a while. My car on the other hand, runs at about 160-180 when Im on the freeway, and just sitting there idling itll hit 210 or more if its really hot out. There is definitely an added strain on the cooling system. Thats part of the police package on cars. they have a beefier cooling system because police cars do a whole lot of idling

you have a strange and disturbing avatar there bud.

you also make some good points, especially about the police package. police cars have larger radiators, larger crank cases, transmission coolers and bigger oil pans so they can hold more oil. even the hybrid cars are outfitted with better cooling components.

However, letting a car idle for a moderate amount of time while playing a system shouldn't drastically affect the engine temperature.

I feel like this shouldn't really be an issue. just use common sense when your listening to music. if its 100 degrees out I dont even want to be sitting in the car with the air on. id rather just not be idling at all, let alone powering up 5 amplifiers and 30 speakers. if your careful with what you do, there shouldnt be any problems.

Haha yeah i know. I was clearing out my emails and my friend had sent me this back in like 07. so i just decided to make it my avatar since i didnt have one.

But back to the idling - it probably wont do any real damage to your engine, but excessive heat speeds up the process of oil breaking down. so if your car is lime mine and runs 40-50 degrees hotter just sitting there, might wanna go easy on that. Ive got a deka 105ah battery in my trunk, and 3500 watts of amps. I always listen to it when im working out in the yard, and it has no problem running not full tilt, but loud enough so that i can hear it clearly throughout the yard which is about an acre. I can do that for at least a couple few hours no problem. and if im working for longer, I turn it off, take a break, and start the car for maybe 15 minutes or so, lettting it charge some. Never had any problems doing it that way

1996 Buick Lesabre Limited - 2 Fi Q 12's, 5ft^3 slot ported box tuned to 30hz, MMATS 3000.1, JL G4500, 5.25" Polk momo comps, cheap 6x9's (rear fill), Pioneer DEH-P8300UB, Knu wiring throughout, Big 3 all 1/0, stock alt, stock batt, Deka 8a31 in the trunk

---Now gone to the younger brother, and all the equipment is sitting in my garage.

96 Buick Lesabre Build Log

Haha yeah i know. I was clearing out my emails and my friend had sent me this back in like 07. so i just decided to make it my avatar since i didnt have one.

But back to the idling - it probably wont do any real damage to your engine, but excessive heat speeds up the process of oil breaking down. so if your car is lime mine and runs 40-50 degrees hotter just sitting there, might wanna go easy on that. Ive got a deka 105ah battery in my trunk, and 3500 watts of amps. I always listen to it when im working out in the yard, and it has no problem running not full tilt, but loud enough so that i can hear it clearly throughout the yard which is about an acre. I can do that for at least a couple few hours no problem. and if im working for longer, I turn it off, take a break, and start the car for maybe 15 minutes or so, lettting it charge some. Never had any problems doing it that way

I kill my battery in about, id say 4 minutes. my system is incredibly running off one stock walmart type batt and the factory alt, which is like 90 amps at most. its crazy that everything is still running.

im looking forward to getting a dc power alt in there, fingers crossed for a 270, and a big ass xs power under the hood. and then eventually a second battery in the back.

1.jpg

Because a facepalm just does not suffice right now...

The temperature outside does not change when the car is stationary or in movement. Also, The coolant system having to work harder shows a lack of understanding on how it all works. I can see why you guys think the way you do, but I can guarantee you should read some more. Besides 0 MPG and emmissions, there is nothing wrong with sitting at idle, and no such thing as "more taxxing" on the engine or coolant system.

In regards to the OP, the OP has not even posted again in the thread even with more information or explanation.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

1.jpg

Because a facepalm just does not suffice right now...

The temperature outside does not change when the car is stationary or in movement. Also, The coolant system having to work harder shows a lack of understanding on how it all works. I can see why you guys think the way you do, but I can guarantee you should read some more. Besides 0 MPG and emmissions, there is nothing wrong with sitting at idle, and no such thing as "more taxxing" on the engine or coolant system.

In regards to the OP, the OP has not even posted again in the thread even with more information or explanation.

who said anything about the outside temperature changing between idling and moving? Im talking about the operating temperature of my car. There is actually such a thing as taxing on the engine or cooling system. When oil breaks down due to excessive heat, it loses its lubricative properties and doesnt do what its supposed to do quite as well. Of course its not like this is a fast process, but its still happening and is doing no good for the engine. Plus, all that extra heat isnt good for plastic and rubber pieces under the hood. lots of heating and cooling makes that stuff brittle over time

My Point: The chances of catastrophic engine failure are slim to none, but it is definitely better for the engine to be off than to idle for long periods of time when it doesnt necessarily have to

1996 Buick Lesabre Limited - 2 Fi Q 12's, 5ft^3 slot ported box tuned to 30hz, MMATS 3000.1, JL G4500, 5.25" Polk momo comps, cheap 6x9's (rear fill), Pioneer DEH-P8300UB, Knu wiring throughout, Big 3 all 1/0, stock alt, stock batt, Deka 8a31 in the trunk

---Now gone to the younger brother, and all the equipment is sitting in my garage.

96 Buick Lesabre Build Log