Second Skin Audio

Need ideas for a good box build for a 96 mustang trunk

Hi all, never really built a custom box before, but i think it's time to go down that path. My cars trunk is so small , anyone that has had a mustang knows this. My question is would an upfiring( subs aimed up towards the trunk lid port aimed rear work? I want a well rounded box that will play all kinds of music well but also bumps hard. I'm dealling with two 12's that i want to put in my trunk. i have them in seperate prefab boxes right now. I need some thing that will play low and loud but still be able to fit in the trunk, an up firing sub box design is the only way i can think of getting some decent volume in there for two 12's and still possibly be able to slide the box in from the inside of the trunk , the height of the box is a real issue here. Any ideas? please help.

1996 mustang gt

• cobra bumper
  • cowl hood
  • c-spring lowered
  • msd ignition, frpp wires , ngks
  • 2 chamber flowbasterds

Sound system

• Pioneer headunit
  • clarion eqs746
  • polk audio mm571's 5x7's
  • polk audio mm691 6x9's
  • planet auido bb150.4 for highs mids
  • stock mach 460 mids and walmart silk dome tweets
  • planet audio bb2400.1
  • 2x 1242 d4 alpine type r's
  • 3.5 cu enclosure tuned to 32 hz
  • all knu concepts & tsunami 1/0 ofc amp runs and monster powerflex big three ofc runs.
  • 2xkinetik khc600 batts in parallel.

Im going to be honest, those Type-Rs do well in sealed enclosures. I had 2 of them (12's) in a 2000 mustang and it got loud throughout a very wide range, 28-60ish hz sounded really good. Just my opinion here, but I don't see a proper 'removable box fitting in there for 2 12's. You could build in the trunk, but are you ready for a permanent enclosure?

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Im going to be honest, those Type-Rs do well in sealed enclosures. I had 2 of them (12's) in a 2000 mustang and it got loud throughout a very wide range, 28-60ish hz sounded really good. Just my opinion here, but I don't see a proper 'removable box fitting in there for 2 12's. You could build in the trunk, but are you ready for a permanent enclosure?

thanks how big was you sealed box were you just able to slide it in the trunk? what do you think about the up firing design i was talking about, i noticed you did one in your stang with a single twelve how did it sound and did you like it?

1996 mustang gt

• cobra bumper
  • cowl hood
  • c-spring lowered
  • msd ignition, frpp wires , ngks
  • 2 chamber flowbasterds

Sound system

• Pioneer headunit
  • clarion eqs746
  • polk audio mm571's 5x7's
  • polk audio mm691 6x9's
  • planet auido bb150.4 for highs mids
  • stock mach 460 mids and walmart silk dome tweets
  • planet audio bb2400.1
  • 2x 1242 d4 alpine type r's
  • 3.5 cu enclosure tuned to 32 hz
  • all knu concepts & tsunami 1/0 ofc amp runs and monster powerflex big three ofc runs.
  • 2xkinetik khc600 batts in parallel.

thanks how big was you sealed box were you just able to slide it in the trunk? what do you think about the up firing design i was talking about, i noticed you did one in your stang with a single twelve how did it sound and did you like it?

The sealed box was just under 1 cube per sub, and it could be squeezed in through the trunk opening. Firing up, your trunk lid will take a beating. Mine sounded good that way, but sucked ass on the meter. If you plan on competing, it will be fine. Just deaden the trunk please, kill as much rattle as possible.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread