I got into wiring some hid's on my friends car for the first time and soon discovered it is a PAIN. There is a plug and play installation and an installation with the relay harness that you hook up to the batt. I did his fog lights the plug and play way. It was simple.. one light was a little more purple but im thinking its because i left foam on one while i was testing it and it got the bulb dirty? Anyways my question is would installing them with the relay be the smarter idea? idk really what its for other than protection in case one blows. This is a 2011 Avalanche so im guessing it is safe without the relay.

1995 Integra GSR (DB8)

Pioneer 3200-DVD

6.5 rockford fosgate 2-way fronts

6.5 rockford fosgate 3-way rear

saz-3000D

(2) 12" SA-12s

mwspllogo.jpg

Yes, using the relay harness is the better way to install them.

Some vehicles can not support the amperage drawn thru the vehicles stock headlight wires when the ballasts first start up, and could cause damage to the stock wiring, or give you problems such as only 1 ballast/headlight turning on. Once the ballasts are warmed up they draw less current then a traditional set of halogen high/low beams, just the initial start up every time they are turned on draws a bit more current.

The Fuse on the relay harness is not meant to protect the bulbs or ballasts, it is to protect the wiring incase of a short due to wires grounding out or something else of that nature, and prevents the short your whatever failing tracing back thru the rest of your electrical system and messing up more things then just the hid relay wiring harness or the hids. I also want to add that on some vehicles the higher current of the ballasts starting have been known to blow the actual headlight switch of the vehicle, which could get expensive on a newer vehicle.

Also on some newer rides, the vehicles computer can detect if you have a blown bulb and will turn a dummy light on in the instrument cluster. When you replace halogen bulbs with hid's using the stock wiring, this dummy light could be triggered. A simple cheap relay harness usually fixes this problem.

However in some vehicles like Dodge you need to use an error eliminator harness, or use a capacitor in line to trick the computer.

If you dont, the computer will keep trying to shut the hid's off, and could damage the ballasts/bulbs very fast.

As for the relay harness they work simular to an amp. You have a ground, constant (which go straight to your battery) you have a 12volt switched on/off, and you have the input for that switch, which would usually be from your stock headlight plugs acting like the remote to turn on the relay.

This way the hid's are powered from the vehicles battery, not from the factory wiring/fusebox (which is why the harness is fused), and only a very low current draw is used from your factory headlight plugs (less then 1amp of DC Current).

Ive installed lots of kits in peoples cars, and make decent cash doing it on the side, and I will always use a relay harness no matter what brand or make vehicle.

If your too lazy or cheap to install/buy the harness, dont even bother buying the hid kit, or doing a hack install.

/story

Yes, using the relay harness is the better way to install them.

Some vehicles can not support the amperage drawn thru the vehicles stock headlight wires when the ballasts first start up, and could cause damage to the stock wiring, or give you problems such as only 1 ballast/headlight turning on. Once the ballasts are warmed up they draw less current then a traditional set of halogen high/low beams, just the initial start up every time they are turned on draws a bit more current.

The Fuse on the relay harness is not meant to protect the bulbs or ballasts, it is to protect the wiring incase of a short due to wires grounding out or something else of that nature, and prevents the short your whatever failing tracing back thru the rest of your electrical system and messing up more things then just the hid relay wiring harness or the hids. I also want to add that on some vehicles the higher current of the ballasts starting have been known to blow the actual headlight switch of the vehicle, which could get expensive on a newer vehicle.

Also on some newer rides, the vehicles computer can detect if you have a blown bulb and will turn a dummy light on in the instrument cluster. When you replace halogen bulbs with hid's using the stock wiring, this dummy light could be triggered. A simple cheap relay harness usually fixes this problem.

However in some vehicles like Dodge you need to use an error eliminator harness, or use a capacitor in line to trick the computer.

If you dont, the computer will keep trying to shut the hid's off, and could damage the ballasts/bulbs very fast.

As for the relay harness they work simular to an amp. You have a ground, constant (which go straight to your battery) you have a 12volt switched on/off, and you have the input for that switch, which would usually be from your stock headlight plugs acting like the remote to turn on the relay.

This way the hid's are powered from the vehicles battery, not from the factory wiring/fusebox (which is why the harness is fused), and only a very low current draw is used from your factory headlight plugs (less then 1amp of DC Current).

Ive installed lots of kits in peoples cars, and make decent cash doing it on the side, and I will always use a relay harness no matter what brand or make vehicle.

If your too lazy or cheap to install/buy the harness, dont even bother buying the hid kit, or doing a hack install.

/story

Thanks man this helps out Big time..

1995 Integra GSR (DB8)

Pioneer 3200-DVD

6.5 rockford fosgate 2-way fronts

6.5 rockford fosgate 3-way rear

saz-3000D

(2) 12" SA-12s

mwspllogo.jpg

Archived