Second Skin Audio

Box Help (Build Stopped Til I Get Confirmation)

Tried the mock up and there's no chance of it fitting in through the back unless it was at least an inch smaller in every direction. Kinda thinking about doing 2 identical but separate boxes:

Option A: Sub up L-port up

Box: 16h * 30w * 16d

Port: 14.5 * 2.25 * 22

2.74 ft^3

33.94Hz

Port Area: 32.63in^2

11.91Port area per foot

Option B: PVC Port on end, sub either up or on the opposite end

Box: 15h * 30w * 15d

Port: 2 @ 4" x 19L

2.53 ft^3

34.00Hz

Port Area: 25.12 in^2

9.93 Port area per foot

Port area values are a lot lower on these, but I couldn't get the tuning right if I went larger. Please leave some feedback if you've read this far, lol.

With a PVC or Aero port 8" or bigger is fine. The L port is not enough port area. Is that net or gross on the airspace?

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

Net volumes. I was told anything with a port area per foot > 10in^2 was good? I saw that the port area was just under the range on the L-Port design, and an 8" port gave me some pretty high tuning numbers, lol.

With an aero port as long as your over 8 in^2 per cube your fine. Slot's need 14-16 in^2 per cube.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

Thanks for your help man, shit is giving me a headache but I'm determined to build this myself. I'll run some more numbers tomorrow and see what I can come up with. Bought 8 cardboard boxes and only used 2 so far, will definitely have no trunk after these subs, but I only want to build the boxes once.

So, this one should work then:

Box3.jpg?t=1310082696

And if I make two mock ups of this and they don't fit.... Ima just say screw it and make one box at 14h x 28.5w x 16d with 2 sealed chambers so that each sub gets exactly 1.2 cubes and call it good till I go to put these in my next car. dry.gif Sealed will prolly sound terrible though lol. Idk actually, that may not be such a bad idea since the bass would be tighter and not as boomy and I would be listening to more rock again. But it would definitely be quieter. Might also have to use 1" instead of 3/4".

Sealed.jpg?t=1310086060

Tested the mock-up today and it finally fit. I was looking at the RE portion and realized that I think I messed up the port length 2 size. IDK, it only messes with the tuning by about 1.5 Hz or so. If everything is set up right above with L2 as 16 1/8, I should have a cut list like this:

Top: 32" x 15.5"

Bottom: 32" x 15.5"

Right: 14" x 14"

Front: 28.5" x 14"

Left: 14.75" x 14"

Back: 32" x 14"

Port L1: 11.25" x 14"

Port L2: 16.125" x 14"

Then do it all over again for box 2.

Bump for help? T3 suggests 20 in^2 of port area by 16" deep for 320 in^2 = 0.185185185 ft^3. If I make a box 14*32*26 with a port 12.5*3.25*13.5, I get a net volume of 4.62 ft^3, 40.63 in^2 of port area, 0.47 ft^3 of port volume, 8.79in^2 port area per foot and tuning of 34.09 Hz all after sub displacement. Probably too small, but it seems to match T3's specs as far as I can tell and if I can fit this into my trunk with subs and port forward then I'll be happy. I can also salvage what's left of the MDF I have to be able to do it without having to buy more.

Edited by Lbox88