Sonic Electronix

i need some opinions on these two solutions

my dads 1971 elcamino has a 383 stroker motor. the issue is that when you have it in drive and you idle it like at a stop light it only does 400 or 500 rpms. well this causes a problem because the voltage drops to 10 or 11 volts depending if the air conditioning or headlights are on. my dad thinks he could just add a second battery in the back to keep the voltage up. im thinking if he does the big three in 0 gauge and gets an xs power battery the voltage will improve. right now we have a 165 amp alternator, some super-start battery and 8 gauge wire. so what do you guys think. any feedback is appreciated

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

Assuming the 383 has a carb, have you tried adjusting the screw on it? 4-500 idle rpm sounds low. Its been a while since I messed with a carb, but loosening the screw will open it up more and idle higher. Might even give it a little more power on the highway. (Could have that backwards. Might need to tighten the screw, but I'm sure you'll notice which way raises rpms lol) Also, what does it idle at in park or neutral?

Edit-phone sucks for typing a lot. Damn autocorrect...

Edited by bassfiend316

Assuming the 383 has a carb, have you tried adjusting the screw on it? 4-500 idle rpm sounds low. Its been a while since I messed with a carb, but loosening the screw will open it up more and idle higher. Might even give it a little more power on the highway. (Could have that backwards. Might need to tighten the screw, but I'm sure you'll notice which way raises rpms lol) Also, what does it idle at in park or neutral?

Edit-phone sucks for typing a lot. Damn autocorrect...

its the way its cammed is why it idles so low while stopped in drive. othewise it stays about 12 volts at regular idle at 800-1000 rpm

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

In that case, then yeah. Big 3, then if it still needs help (and it probably will) another battery. In my eyes, that's kind of a bandaid fix. Only proper way I can see is swapping out to a cam less extreme. Sounds like you're trying to run more of a race cam than a street cam. However, I'm no expert, so maybe somebody else knows some other tricks.

well its hooked up to a 3 speed auto and when we got it it had some weird wiring so that's why im guessing it was used for a track car or something before we bought it.. as for changing the cam i dont think my father would wanna spend the money on it. yet for some reason he would spend the money to add an extra battery in the back.

is it an automatic or a manual

auto. so we cant exactly just clutch it

get a descent agm batt and get rid of the superstart do big 3 and go from there

thats what i was telling him.id have to see which xs power one would fit. but i think an xs power would work better than running two wet cell batteries. as for the big three how many feet of wire would we need. about 15 to 20 ish feet?

My neighbors old jeep has a similar issue, when idleing at a stop everything dims, meaning voltage drop, but when driving no problem. He is going to replace the Alt on his car and that should prob fix it.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm