Second Skin Audio

Not sure how to word this - Flush Mounted MDF Rings?

Hey guys quick question, might be missing a key part though..

Being as its 4am, I couldnt make a video to describe what I am saying, by pointing it out.

But as we all I am sure have noticed, screwing into MDF works good the first time... what if you need to remove the sub ONCE? or maybe twice? Hell maybe 3x...

From my personal experience, after you remove the screw once..thats pretty much it for that hole, your not gonna get a good secure hold from that same screw hole again...just because of the composition of MDF id suppose...

Now maybe I am doing something wrong...but I don't think so..

So I came up with an idea...which some might all a little dumb..but I think it is quite smart, when flush mounting the subs, route out the ring maybe 1/8" - 1/4" deeper, and make an aluminum ( or similar metal ) ring and glue this down to the flush mounted ring, so you would be able to remove the screws from the metal and get a secure fit every time...

Now not that I remove my subs often, I try to keep it to a minimum. But this is just something I was pondering while sitting here drawing up boxes on paper.

I looked through a few pages of this section and couldnt find anything..mighta skipped over it.

But what do you guys use if you remove your subs?

3d7304fe.jpg

1/0 Power Wire All Around + Big 3 - $140

Rockford Fosgate T2500-1BD - MSRP $1800

(4) Memphis M3 10" Subwoofers 1600watts $300ea. = $1200

XS D6500 $245.65

PIONEER AVH-P5200DVD 7" Head Unit = $430

Soundstream SC-6T Component 6.5" FRONT $60

Pioneer TS-A1673R 6.5" REAR $85

A Bangin system! = PRICELESS!

Well i'll be damned if that isn't BRILLIANT!

You just drill a 1/4" hole and drop that thing in and twist it? Then use the supplied hex head screws to screw sub into them?

Or do you make the hole for these say 3/8" and squeeze it in there?

Hmm. I am going to order a few packs of these up for a box build I will be doing soon.

Thanks bro!

EDIT: Reading reviews, you HAMMER it in under the sub, then screw in as you normally would. Logical.

Edited by rickyfromthe407

3d7304fe.jpg

XS D6500 $245.65

Since I am cheap as all hell...

I am sure I could find some good screws for these.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=829

Would these be the same thing?

Also, what about Hurricane nuts? Same thing just without spikes? Hows you guys experience with those?

Reading reviews on parts express many people say they prefer the Hurricane nuts over the T-Nuts

And 50pcs for 4$ cant beat it! The speaker mounting kits get quite pricey...for my cheap ass :lol:

3d7304fe.jpg

XS D6500 $245.65

Yeah, like BlitZ said. Use tee nuts. You might have to drill out the mounting holes on the subs though in order to fit the bolts through them though. Use 1/4-20 screw head bolts, and 1/4-20 tee nuts or M6 screw head bolts, and M6 tee nuts. You should be able to buy the tee nuts and bolts at your local hardware store (lowes, menards, home depot) for less than 5 bucks for enough to do one sub.

Look through this slideshow and it shows you how to install them. http://caraudiomag.com/pictures/Use-T-Nut-Fasteners

Edited by Autruche

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Yeah, like BlitZ said. Use tee nuts. You might have to drill out the mounting holes on the subs though in order to fit the bolts through them though. Use 1/4-20 screw head bolts, and 1/4-20 tee nuts or M6 screw head bolts, and M6 tee nuts. You should be able to buy the tee nuts and bolts at your local hardware store (lowes, menards, home depot) for less than 5 bucks for enough to do one sub.

Look through this slideshow and it shows you how to install them. http://caraudiomag.com/pictures/Use-T-Nut-Fasteners

Gets pricey quick at 5$ per 8.

Just out of curiosity though, why choose the T-Nuts over the Hurricane nuts? I read lots of reviews, and most say the Hurricane nuts are more efficient, easier to install, and hold in place better.

Also, looking on Parts Express - They got packs of 50 for like $6 For both the T-Nuts and Hurricane Nuts - it gets pricey when you buy those "packs" that come with screws. When I could just run up to lowes and pick up a pack of 50 1/4-20 screws for another 3-5$..

I think I will order both the T-Nuts and Hurricane Nuts 50pcs each. ill get the 1/4" and when I run up to lowes ( probably in the next few hours when they open ) gotta pick up some MDF for a box build anyways, ill get around 100 for when they get here..

Once again, Im a cheap bastard :shrug:

But my original question - why choose the T-Nuts over Hurricane Nuts?

3d7304fe.jpg

XS D6500 $245.65

Rings I made for some 6.5 mids and 6.5 subs.

downsize65.jpg

downsize64.jpg

downsize63.jpg

Very clean! I like them. Is that the T-Nuts or Hurricane ones?

On a side note: Damn - got just about every tool one could imagine, except a jasper jig! But got a few routers... Gotta pick me up something like that, making them myself works...but I imagine not as good. Mine never look as clean.

3d7304fe.jpg

XS D6500 $245.65

What i have done in the past was to drill the holes and screw the screws in to cut the grooves the screws make and then drip a few drops of super glue down each hole and let dry a minute, then i would use a cordless drill and run the screw in and out a few times to make sure the glue has hardened without gluing it in place. NOTE to ANYONE doing this - it will heat the screw up to some really high temps so please wear gloves or risk getting burned.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Tee nuts, Hurricane nuts, whatever, if it works like that, it'll work for what you want it for.

Tee nuts are much cheaper online than in a store, so if you can wait a few days for them, get a bulk pack online. It's like a buck for 4 tee nuts at my local Menards and like 2 bucks for 8 philips head bolts, so it comes out to like 4 bucks a sub with 8 mounting holes.

You can get like 100 tee nuts and 100 screw head bolts online for like 10-15 bucks otherwise, and then you're talking like 1 dollar per sub with 8 mounting holes.

At the end of the day, either way is cheaper than buying a recone cuz you had to slam on the brakes and your 60+ pound sub ripped those wood screws out of the baffle.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want