Second Skin Audio

RE SXX pulling in instead of pushing out all of a sudden

I have a new RE SXX 12 running off a new Arc Audio KS 1200.1. Everything was working fine and all of a sudden my head unit shut off and turned back on. After that, it's like my polarities are reversed on my sub because it's pulling in instead of pushing out and my sound output was reduced by quite a bit. It isn't near as loud now. My question is, is it possible for the polarity to get reversed without the wiring changing at all? If it matters, the head unit I'm using is also a brand new Clarion VX-401. So I know that all of my equipment is good. Any help is appreciated.

It your head unit reset itself some stuff could have gotten messsed up. Like the RCA outputs and the bass boost could have been turned off. Did you have a reverse polarity set on anything?

I think a good question would be why did your radio turn off. Hows your voltage? Did you wire it all yourself? Did anyhting come loose and turn it off?

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Check your phase setting if you have it.

Also are you running a sealed enclosure?

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

And subs really move to fast for you to be able to see with the unaided eye if they are reversed or not. You could just be tricking yourself.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Well first off, it was wired professionally. I'm not sure why the head unit shut off but I just realized, at the same time, my speedometer went to the max and got stuck there. So it's a good possibility that it's a short. I just don't know where to look next to fix the problem. And I'm wandering, if i switch around the speaker wires, will it change the polarity back to normal and play correctly again? And I haven't checked the phase. And it's in a ported box.

You can rule polarity reversal out. Polarity reversal's only detramental effect is if

it is cancelling out the sound wave of a neighboring speaker (for the most part).

An amplifier can malfunction and not correctly push a woofer. I had this happen from

a Kenwood amp once. One other thing is if a subwoofer surround is torn it can force

a speakers cone outward (sealed box only)... seen that happen, so inward is a possibility.

Troubleshoot how you can one component at a time. You may be able to pinpoint the culprit,

but if your head unit had a malfunction you may want to start there.

Hope all goes well!

Well I went out there and flipped around the speaker wires on the amp output and now it is working as it should and it's back to normal volume. I really don't understand the whole situation, but it works again so I'm happy. Any suggestions on finding the short though?

Well I went out there and flipped around the speaker wires on the amp output and now it is working as it should and it's back to normal volume. I really don't understand the whole situation, but it works again so I'm happy. Any suggestions on finding the short though?

Uhm, with your speedo doing that max out, and your head unit shutting off, in all honestly I would completely unplug my system till I figured out the cause..what if it were to short and blow your woofers, your amp, and possibly anything else? Just more strain on the short by using the system...

Physically reversing polarity to fix something that happened un-intentionally is not going to fix it. It will band-aid fix it and could cause your more problems in the future..

I dont know what the issue is, the speedo going to max is something I have never heard of.

But I think it could be your eyes playing tricks on you. Its REALLY hard to see a sub which way its bumping..

3d7304fe.jpg

1/0 Power Wire All Around + Big 3 - $140

Rockford Fosgate T2500-1BD - MSRP $1800

(4) Memphis M3 10" Subwoofers 1600watts $300ea. = $1200

XS D6500 $245.65

PIONEER AVH-P5200DVD 7" Head Unit = $430

Soundstream SC-6T Component 6.5" FRONT $60

Pioneer TS-A1673R 6.5" REAR $85

A Bangin system! = PRICELESS!